[Experiment] Construct2 with Ejecta and GameCenter

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 pm

@0plus1 I modified areAllTexturesLoaded because on my intial tests, the function would get call indefinitely becuase the filesize always returned zero. That initial test was done a few versions before, I will try without the modification and do some logging on the filezise and see what happens.

Also, please note that if you start your layout without the images being loaded, you will not see the sprites on the screen unless the change position (if they change position, that forces a redraw).juantar2013-02-28 13:59:11
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 pm

[QUOTE=0plus1] @jayderyu

The problem with clay.io is that is rather buggy at the moment (especially under accelerated canvases), it also requires a (constant) internet connection which might result in a reject by Apple, it's also another closed source library that could close tomorrow for all we know.

Cross platform I would go with openFeint at the moment.[/QUOTE]

OpenFeint is now out of buisness. I won't disagree about the bugginess. However Austin is always keen on getting "required' features and bug fixes rolled out quickly. Though I agree that the hack to get CJS working is annoying :| Clay.io does not require constant internet connection. I have a game that works off line fine. However the Clay.io services I do agree seem to be online only for now, but talks have been done to getting Clay.io to be off line as well. But Again I do not disagree that Game Centre is more robust at this time. It's just Clay.io at the moment is the only alternative to cross platform for JS gaming features :).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenFeint
Shutdown as Dec 4 2012

Jauntar
Do you think it could be something to do with the first frame rendering. Because it seems weird that an object has to move first before it's rendered.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Regarding the offline capabilities of clay.io, Austin confirmed it was very hi on the to-do list. http://www.scirra.com/forum/plugin-clayio-leaderboards-achievements_topic54357_page31.html

It is mentioned a number of timesKobusvdwalt2013-02-28 17:51:27
B
S

Post » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:03 am

@jayderyu wow didn't know about openfeint, it's just sad.
The issue I have with clay.io is the non-compliance with Apple requirements. They are all fixable with a little bit of work on our part, but why do this when there is Game Center and its awesome functions that work offline? Also Game Center on iOS is a very very big factor in sales, putting a game without GC support is almost sure to be a failure. It has become a REQUIRMENT for iOS games.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:49 am

Offline support is a work in progress :) I'll crank out some more work on it tonight, but can't say for sure when it will be 100% ready to go.

I haven't played around with Ejecta yet, but from my understanding it doesn't currently support a webview for overlaying the UI elements (like DirectCanvas and CocoonJS do), so it would have to rely completely on the DOMless version of the API (http://clay.io/api/api-domless.js)austin2013-03-01 04:55:42
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General