Experimental Greenworks plugin

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:00 am

I tested NW12 awhile back, it ran a bit faster than 10.5 (lower CPU usage) but it didn't feel as smooth after playing for a longer period.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:29 am

Silverforce wrote:NW12 [...]it didn't feel as smooth after playing for a longer period.

meaning there was jank or GC hiccups? last I heard people were still on 10.5 for Steam, has this changed?

@MadSpy Awesome work! I hope your hard work will be validated....people should credit you in their games!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:48 am

I don't know the cause of it, but 10.5 is still good for Steam so its what we've been using.

Would be nice to move to later Chromium though, there's some performance improvements.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:36 am

MadSpy wrote:pending the Ashley's reply, the plugin is finished (if Ashley reply yes it's already done) and have the following basics features:
- support NW12.0
- support steam SDK 134
- works on win32
- works on win64
- the black screen issue is solved
- condition "steam is available" works
- "active achievement" action works

currently working on advanced version with the follwings features:

- added condition trigger "onclearachievementsuccess" -> DONE
- added condition trigger "onclearachievementerror" -> DONE
- added action "clearAchievement" -> DONE
- added condition "isCloudenabled" -> DONE
- change condition "issteamoverlayavailable" -> DONE
- added condition "isCloudforUserenabled" -> DONE

todo: add "getNumberOfAchievements" expression

Sounds awesome @MadSpy we're really in desperate need of a working greenworks plugin, hopefully @Ashley will approve this asap.
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:21 am

I have been following the chromium issue 422000, where v38 was reported as busting vsync. The Google engineer post made yesterday:
We have landed a bunch of changes which fix things around this area but to fundamentally get this totally finished we need the following things fixed / finished;

* (done) Actually use the time from BeginFrame information rather than random "Now()" value.
* (in progress) Unified Begin Frame (make all renderers using the same single source and enable filtering)
* (in progress) Display Scheduler (provide better scheduling of frames)
* (unstarted) Back pressure API which means we cleanly drop to 30 fps (see discussion on scheduler dev mailing list).
* (unstarted) Get better sources of vsync information on individual platforms (see [email protected] proposal about how to get a really good vsync value on Windows).

We also need to come up with better testing and metrics to prevent any regressions of this problem in the future. I've been discussing with the ChromeOS and input latency testing group on how we can reuse their work to also measure the actual real world experience people are getting.

In summary, "Some progress but still lots to do. We want to solve this properly and for good."

Which means we still have a long wait for a fully fixed version of NW to come out. NW v12.0 seems very good if not perfect, so this plugin is well timed and sounds excellent. @MadSpy is using the delay in receiving a response from Scirra to add even more features, so I have mixed feelings about them taking back ownership! :p
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:53 am

there's 12.3 out and 13.0 is alpha atm
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:30 pm

Just interested if any of the mods have any idea on whether or not @Mad_Spy 's modified version of this plugin should be made publicly available...?
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:33 pm

Colludium wrote:Just interested if any of the mods have any idea on whether or not @Mad_Spy 's modified version of this plugin should be made publicly available...?

The silence makes me feel like Scirra is already working on something bigger and better. Well, that or it is going to be an exclusive for Construct 3.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:06 am

jojoe wrote:The silence makes me feel like Scirra is already working on something bigger and better. Well, that or it is going to be an exclusive for Construct 3.

I admire your optimism :). I suspect that with this plugin being a year in beta, the best place for its upkeep is within the community.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:56 am

I think @Ashley should say something one way or another as it seems a few of us are at a point where we need this plugin.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General