Experimental Greenworks plugin

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 am

condolent wrote:This must be a plugin issue though, checked around on the steamworks forum and nobody has experienced this before, and people said that the overlay has nothing to do with GPU. So my guess is that it's a plugin/c2/html5 issue which hopefully means @Ashley can fix it


It's a NWjs/Chromium issue.

Nothing related to C2 or Greenworks.

Its just the way NVIDIA treats the detection of Chromium.
B
70
S
24
G
19
Posts: 1,757
Reputation: 17,616

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:13 am

Looks like stuff is happening https://github.com/greenheartgames/greenworks/issues/64
I hope they'll release the new greenworks version soon.
B
72
S
29
G
7
Posts: 86
Reputation: 7,613

Post » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Did somebody do some testing with the new NW.js version (v.0.13.0 beta 6)? Is it working or it's still broken?

Also, this is some sort of noob question, but if I want to make a game for Steam, the only thing I'd need this plugin are the achievements, right?
B
135
S
33
G
17
Posts: 1,560
Reputation: 20,734

Post » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:50 pm

@glerikud , if you want add achievements, you need plugin else for trading cards or cloud a plugin isn't needed
Image Image
B
25
S
14
G
140
Posts: 877
Reputation: 73,012

Post » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:25 pm

MadSpy wrote:@glerikud , if you want add achievements, you need plugin else for trading cards or cloud a plugin isn't needed

@MadSpy You say that a "cloud" features inside the plugin are not required, in fact how would you for example store savedata like localstorage to the cloud anyway?
So far I don't know much about the game SDK or how certain features like that work.
(My guess is that Steam's cloud system works with relative savedata paths that you have to mark out in the SDK.
However even if it would work like that, what would happen if future NW.js versions would change the localstorage-data path?
)

I think since NW.js + Steam are going to be a "big" thing in the next couple of months with the stable
release of NW.js, things like this should be in the manual. (I'm sure that Ashley will do that, just a little heads up anyway. :) )
ImageImageImage
B
64
S
24
G
78
Posts: 666
Reputation: 45,070

Post » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:39 pm

I mean you're able to create your own save logic in files with nw.js without localstorage (e.g. "%userfolder%/documents/mygame/save.data") and you're able to set a path in steamworks partner web for cloud save so you don't have to use a plugin to do this.
Image Image
B
25
S
14
G
140
Posts: 877
Reputation: 73,012

Post » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:54 pm

MadSpy wrote:I mean you're able to create your own save logic in files with nw.js without localstorage (e.g. "%userfolder%/documents/mygame/save.data") and you're able to set a path in steamworks partner web for cloud save so you don't have to use a plugin to do this.

Thank you for the quick reply.
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
B
64
S
24
G
78
Posts: 666
Reputation: 45,070

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:37 am

TheRealDannyyy wrote:
MadSpy wrote:@glerikud , if you want add achievements, you need plugin else for trading cards or cloud a plugin isn't needed

@MadSpy You say that a "cloud" features inside the plugin are not required, in fact how would you for example store savedata like localstorage to the cloud anyway?
So far I don't know much about the game SDK or how certain features like that work.
(My guess is that Steam's cloud system works with relative savedata paths that you have to mark out in the SDK.
However even if it would work like that, what would happen if future NW.js versions would change the localstorage-data path?
)

I think since NW.js + Steam are going to be a "big" thing in the next couple of months with the stable
release of NW.js, things like this should be in the manual. (I'm sure that Ashley will do that, just a little heads up anyway. :) )


MadSpy wrote:I mean you're able to create your own save logic in files with nw.js without localstorage (e.g. "%userfolder%/documents/mygame/save.data") and you're able to set a path in steamworks partner web for cloud save so you don't have to use a plugin to do this.



I am adding to his statement with the fact that you can simply use the official save and load functionality for your own custom save files. Without much hassle.

How?
Pretty easy.

For saving, as indicated in the manual, on saving complete, save a copy of the save json into your own custom file that you created for this purpose. Remember to use a marker so you can identify if the json is a new one or will it replace an existing one in that file.

When loading, just parse through the file and load the correct json using the load from json function which is provided officially by Scirra.
There you go, easy as it can be. And you can have full cloud support with your own custom files.
B
36
S
18
G
11
Posts: 248
Reputation: 8,694

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:42 am

Thanks for the quick answers and also for the tips in the save game topic. :)
B
135
S
33
G
17
Posts: 1,560
Reputation: 20,734

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Sethmaster wrote:I am adding to his statement with the fact that you can simply use the official save and load functionality for your own custom save files. Without much hassle.

How?
Pretty easy.

For saving, as indicated in the manual, on saving complete, save a copy of the save json into your own custom file that you created for this purpose. Remember to use a marker so you can identify if the json is a new one or will it replace an existing one in that file.

When loading, just parse through the file and load the correct json using the load from json function which is provided officially by Scirra.
There you go, easy as it can be. And you can have full cloud support with your own custom files.

The built-in savestates are an awesome alternative for more "simple" games were saving certain global variables doesn't matter that much.
However, if you have a game were you want to save variables only, I prefer using webstorage (my modified version with encryption inside), I just recently changed to local storage because it is technically save from any way of manipulation. (To be honest, waiting for localstorage to do its work is still annoying and I consider to go back to my old webstorage saving method in future.)

So to sum it all up, if I would make a custom saving system to a file, do I have to encrypt the variables saved into the file?
I appreciate all kinds of links to existing separate file saving methods, sorry that I went off-topic here!
(I know that the most of the users who subbed to this topic only want to know news about greenworks and not things like this. :roll: )
ImageImageImage
B
64
S
24
G
78
Posts: 666
Reputation: 45,070

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SparklingAir and 9 guests