export backward compatibility option

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
  • Is it possible to get an option which assists in people using the latest beta version exporting as if it was the latest stable ?

ie

I have 151 beta atm, and desire that my export is compatible with latest release 146.

My export holds no features tied to the beta, ... at least, I think >_>   (perhaps an auto check for that, with a warning if it does hold beta related elements)

Reason for this, I myself and a few others ran in the issue when writing tutorials that when they export their capx's to share, that they are incompatible with people using the latest release instead of beta.

• This isn't advisable, but you can do it by saving your game as a .caproj file (File -> Save as Project), and opening the .caproj file on notepad.

There's a line written "<saved-with-version>15000</saved-with-version>", just change that number to whatever version you want. To check the right number, just install version 146, save any game as a .caproj and do the same thing to look at the number.

• Nice one :D thanks andreyin !!!

Still, having it as an official feature wouldnt be so bad I guess.

• You shouldn't generally do this, because if you used any new features at all from the newer version it will probably explode in the old version.

• You shouldn't generally do this, because if you used any new features at all from the newer version it will probably explode in the old version.

:) expected pretty much

but is such an option viable ?

By explosion you mean small boom or thermonuclear?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • :-D :-D :-D

would also like to have a downgrade feature btw :)

• :-D :-D :-D

would also like to have a downgrade feature btw :)

They tried that.

It was called "Half Frame Rate Mode".

• It's impossible to get new features working in older builds, and it's far too much work to track which features work in which releases when you can make a backup before using a new release.

• Ashley I'm sure you saw my other forum suggestions, and not to hijack this thread, but it would be awesome to add some kind of thanks or upvote system for specific posts as well.

• OR just don't updgrade too the beta's. It's actually more effort(not much) to upgrade to a beta than it is for doing any form of downgrade.

Personally unless there is a mandatory feature that you need from a beta then don't. I remember updating to beta's and ended up with all sorts of small problems and warning with loading my game.

So I don't believe Ashley should create a downgrade. I think if you want to be reliable to share CAPX. Don't upgrade.

If you need features and want to help debug. Then beta, beta all the way :)

• It's impossible to get new features working in older builds, and it's far too much work to track which features work in which releases when you can make a backup before using a new release.

never mind ....

I kinda hate the auto save feature now ,... as it messed up my games versions ... ohw and whatta you know .. it auto backed upped and auto saved over my current versions ....

• To not save a backup before upgrading is foolish. To rely on a programs autosave feature is doubly so.

I can't see why both versions can't be installed at the same time. Having a Save older version option would just create a massive amount of work for Ashley in the long run in having to keep track of every tiny change.

Ridiculous, in my opinion.

I would much rather Ashley concentrated on ironing out bugs and introducing some much needed features.

• To not save a backup before upgrading is foolish. To rely on a programs autosave feature is doubly so.

I can't see why both versions can't be installed at the same time. Having a Save older version option would just create a massive amount of work for Ashley in the long run in having to keep track of every tiny change.

Ridiculous, in my opinion.

I would much rather Ashley concentrated on ironing out bugs and introducing some much needed features.

I wasnt aware Construct 2 was so finicky with versions :(

I recently only got the beta cos of the tilemap editor to look around, but stopped after it crashed my construct ... unawae that continueing to edit my existing programs created with an older version could cause these current issues I'm experiencing ....

Oh well ... thats the last time I'll use a beta :\

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)