Export directly to HTML5 package

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 am

Is there a way to directly export to HTML5 in the free one, without submitting it online? While I do think it's cool that you can share for free, I have some smaller projects I want to save that I don't really think are worth sharing with EVERYONE, and one time I tried making a presentation using this, and it didn't work at all because I couldn't figure out how to export it as something USABLE. I would share if I had something worth sharing, but I don't, and yet, I do still need to use it. Does that make any sense?
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:13 am

HTML5 apps need to run on a webserver, they won't run local expect in preview mode. In the non free version you can export to Node Webkit which creates an executable, not sure if you can do that in the free version or not.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:42 am

To store your sources, save as single capx file.

Otherwise, HTML5 is to be hosted online, and this is done through exporting as HTML5.
You can host it on dropbox or google drive if you want.

Free version doesn't allow export to node-webkit/executables.Kyatric2013-07-15 06:43:30
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 am

If you want to run a presentation, just preview from the Construct 2 editor itself.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:56 am

I have created MYSQL and php , and using AJAX to link it together.
However, after I have exported it HTML 5 it couldnt work.I am using localhost though.

Thank you!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 am

Wait, I can't run it without a server? Can't I just open the HTML file in a browser when I'm done? I'm not sharing it exactly, my idea at the time was a presentation somewhat like a powerpoint (but more interesting) and it was just going to be used between two computers. And no I can't use the CAPX file because I wanted to use it for a presentation on another computer using a flashdrive, so no Construct. I could try convincing my teacher at school to install it, but that's probably going to be denied.
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:36 am

Do you have Dropbox? you can put it in the public folder there and run it from the web browser, however it will still require internet access to load it.

For Example:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/854 ... index.html

Edit: As of Oct 2016 Dropbox no longer supports this
Last edited by Paradox on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:04 am

[QUOTE=MikeyZ] Wait, I can't run it without a server? Can't I just open the HTML file in a browser when I'm done? I'm not sharing it exactly, my idea at the time was a presentation somewhat like a powerpoint (but more interesting) and it was just going to be used between two computers. And no I can't use the CAPX file because I wanted to use it for a presentation on another computer using a flashdrive, so no Construct. I could try convincing my teacher at school to install it, but that's probably going to be denied.[/QUOTE]

The reason you can't just run an "HTML" file is because of file loading. A handful of browsers will not let files loaded from "file://" but only from "html://". This isn't a C2 limitation this is a browser design. Some browsers will let you, other will let you change security restrictions. however these are based on the browser you are using and not C2.

So yes, if you want to carry a exported version of a game around. Your going have to get a portable webserver. I would suggest MOWES. I found it super easy to get going with least effort to configure.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:43 pm

I don't think that the file opening thing is the limitation. I open local HTML files all the time, albeit without javascript. I even tested it on several. IE: Yes Chrome: yes Firefox: yes Maxthon: yes
B
S

Post » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:05 am

I exported my project to a folder on my desktop, zipped it up, emailed to a friend and they opened the index.html to run, worked fine.
B

Next

Return to How do I....?