Export time JPEGs

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:37 am

hi, i'm new here and i have a question.

i've read all the relevant things about exports (performance tips, export optimization etc..)

but the question that bothers me is the next: do JPEG files get spritesheetd? i noticed that only sprites with png-32 export format do, but i can't find anywhere that it says that JPEG doesn't.

i'm asking this because i have 250 frames animation, that can be exported in pure JPEG, but when it does i get 250 images, instead of a couple of spritesheets, so i'm guessing JPEG spritesheeting is not implemented? every frame is cropped and resized to 254x254 pixel

am i missing something?

i tried to search forum / manual / everything for answer but i couldn't find one. if it was already answered, sorry for the inconvinience, i'm new here :oops:
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 am

No, JPEGs are not spritesheeted. I think it could add artefacts along the edges of images anyway. Why do you have such a large number of images you want to JPEG compress? Why not use PNG for them?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:08 pm

it's a animation that i use, whole animation is 250 frames, though i thought of reducing that number to 50, and still looks good.

i thought jpegs get spritesheeted too - would be more optimized since no transparency need on that animation i've created.

i guess i'll have to use png then. thnx for the answer Ashley.

might i ask you aswell what kind of artefacts do you think jpeg spritesheeting might cause?
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General