Fair ratings?

If you have found a bug, or have a suggestion/comment then leave it here

Post » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:23 am

[QUOTE=Mr E Bear] I rated the game at 3 stars, but gave a 4 to compensate for for the 1 star review.

The issue for me is that while the design and sound were great (As well as a high score edge, I love trying to get points!) I had no idea how I was winning; I sat there for ages trying to find a tell tale hint or difference between the gems but I couldn't work one out!

So for me it just came down to guessing; good game design asks the player a question and rewards them on how they respond, with this my response was the same each time, guess a gem, but it resulted in negative reinforcement as the majority of guesses I made were wrong. That's what makes games unenjoyable, and that might be why someone one star'd it.

That said I obviously enjoyed it, please tell me if there's a knack or trick I'm missing?![/QUOTE]

@Mr E Bear - hey, I'm happy you took the time to give it a try and a rating you thought was fair. I'm glad you enjoyed part of it. I have updated Pick to Win with more combos and bonuses, so you might want to give it another try for a higher score. The game is definitely based on luck and guessing. There are no tell-tale hints. Each gem is equal in a player's eyes until they start eliminating some. In this way, it is much like sqiddster's latest mini-game, Go Faster, as it is based on randomness and luck, too. Go Faster seems hugely popular due to the fact it is featured and has garnered high ratings.Manley232013-03-30 12:22:56
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Are there any good games out there? Not the "OEMG I LUV TEH GRAPHICS I WIL VOET IT 5 STARZ" games.
HARMLESS SIGNATURE THAT IS VIEWED BY OTHERS AS OFFENSIVE AND CONTROVERSIAL
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I think this should be implemented. It shouldn't be too hard in code, you literally check if the ratings variable is greater than some number before moving the game up or down.
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 am

It's pretty hard to get fair rating when you use a 5-star rating. People tend to go wither high or low with it.

I think this was one of the reasons Youtube stopped with that a few years ago.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 pm

I can say only "Welcome to the Club". I was victim of this issue a while ago, and the solution was stop to post new games and Mockups on Arcade while the rate system persists.

Exposure, like the top games has, is an invitation for more players play the game, and it's ciclical, if you don't BOOM with visitation on the very first hours of your game publication, you're done, because the TOP games always will persist on the top, because they have much, much more visitors.

Also, I don't like someone giving me a rate for my hobby, I do it for fun and pleasure, so, it's (on my side) a counter motivation, where give beneficiation for old games (from the time of the Arcade start).

So, without any worry, I surf on the Arcade to find pearls and very good contents, with downgrade, because people wanting their games to be top of something voted it down.

Look, for example, the tutorials.. When someone don't understand it, and probably didn't read the tutorial about it on the tutorial section, will vote 1 star, it's not making justice for the hard job of the writer.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 pm

I tend to explore the games with the most plays. I have never trusted our type of rating system. I just figure the best games are going to get the most plays. Might not hurt to do away with our ratings system all together.
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:08 pm

I've noticed some games don't register your star ratings.. it says it does but the game still says the votes it had originally..
I agree with @Auntie Val or change how it is done..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 am

The ratings are fixed again, like Tom posted earlier, but I noted with Pick to Win, high scores might not be registering.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:38 am

@Manley23,

I'm up to 57,000 points, but still don't show up in the high score list. Is there something I'm missing to properly post my scores?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 am

[QUOTE=TELLES0808] I can say only "Welcome to the Club". I was victim of this issue a while ago, and the solution was stop to post new games and Mockups on Arcade while the rate system persists.
[/QUOTE]

This is the problem many sites with arcades have. Newgrounds is one of the worst arcades I've seen, with little kids who are unwilling to read basic instructions.

For example, one kid rated my game 0/5 stars because he said I never wrote how to fire the ship, when the instructions clearly say "arrow keys to move, space to shoot" and I even put that exact same text in the description right under the game. The kids on NG are lazy or stupid (or both?) and this is why many games on NG go completely unnoticed.

I hope Scirra arcade doesn't turn into the same thing.
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Website Issues and Feedback