Fake Bump-mapping Example

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
A template which allows you to customise the controls of your game.
  • So, I know that Construct has a bump mapping effect, but I wanted to make something that supported multiple lights, and this is what I came up with:

Fake bump-mapping example

The white light follows the mouse directly, while the colored lights slowly move towards the mouse. So, how this works, is that I have two layers. The first layer has the background images. The second layer has the lights and the bump-mapping objects, and it's also set to force it's own texture so as not to distort the background images on the bottom layer, only the lights on their own layer. On the second layer, I have sprites with black and white bump-map images, and these sprites have the distort effect applied to them. Since the lights on the second layer are always beneath the bump objects, they are distorted to appear as if they are casting light on bump-mapped surfaces, creating a mostly accurate representation of bump-mapping.

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

• linkman2004 - I think thay you should post this in "Uploads" forum.

On topic:

I can't test it - my graphics card don't support PS 2.0 ;(

• Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that it requires PS 2.0. Sorry about that.

EDIT: By the way, would a mod mind moving this to the uploads forum?

• Wow, that's pretty good, well done.

• really awesome sauce!! i really dig when people found solution "Out of the box"

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Nice, that's a pretty convincing fake bumpmapping effect, well done!

• Thanks for the comments, everybody. I've been working on the engine and have made some improvements. I'm currently pulling together a new example, and I should be finished with it soon.

• Okay, I'm finished with the example I promised. Again, it requires PS 2.0, so keep that in mind. It is at the following link:

Fake bump-mapping: Shooter example

Use the WASD keys to move and jump. Aim with the mouse and fire with the left mouse button. The improvement here is that I applied a dodge effect to the layer with the lights and the bump-maps, making the lights look more like lights and less like blobs.

Tell me what you think.

• Awesome example! I will have to look into this unconventional way of achieving bumpmapping further. I really love that platformer/shooter example as well. The animating legs are classic! However, one suggestion, rearrange the actions on the second event so that body gets positioned first, otherwise the gun lags a frame behind (unless thats the desired effect of course). Hope you turn that into a full game

• That's really awesome! love the effects.

The gun also reminds me of the gun from Halo

• Great job with the water in that example, looks excellent

• All the effects in that look great, the lighting, the fake bumpmapping, but the thing that really amazed me was the water you created.

• Thanks for the compliments, everybody. I'm glad to know you all like the water effects.

The animating legs are classic! However, one suggestion, rearrange the actions on the second event so that body gets positioned first, otherwise the gun lags a frame behind (unless thats the desired effect of course). Hope you turn that into a full game

Thanks for the tip. I kind of figured that came from the ordering of events, but I wasn't sure. And I DO hope to make this in to a full game. But, we'll see.

The gun also reminds me of the gun from Halo

I was hoping somebody would catch that.

• Wow this was really good. Same style of game I'm working on atm (sidescroller shooter) I thought it would be a good genre to implement alot of special effects

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)