Faking z heights

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:28 pm

[quote:259roic0]well the easy way would be, create your own particle spawner. the math for scaling and movement to attach a non sprite to an object which is free in all dimensions is really complicated to tweak just right, and i don't really see the advantage of using a fake transformation of the particle object that'll look strange and out of place in your true 3d world. not to mention if youre setting the scroll and zoom settings for a layer to control one object, you wont be able to make any others ones, so youre stuck with one particle object. using sprites to make all your paritcles would allow
-multiple spawning sources
-its easier
-your particles can travel through all dimensions instead of just one.[/quote:259roic0]

I dont even want to think about how complicated a sprite emitter would be, plus I would think that would kill the frame rate at some point.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:35 pm

[quote="newt":x32y0gl4]Thanks, that works better. Something is still a bit off tho, the particle object will start to leave the objects x,y after about 300 pixels.[/quote:x32y0gl4]Strange, works perfect for me, are you using scrolling? Use the following if so:

((Sprite.X - (ScrollXLeft + DisplayWidth*0.5)) * 100/(100 - Sprite.ZElevation)) + (ScrollXLeft + DisplayWidth*0.5)
((Sprite.Y - (ScrollYTop + DisplayHeight*0.5)) * 100/(100 - Sprite.ZElevation)) + (ScrollYTop + DisplayHeight*0.5)

Other than that, I'm not sure what the issue might be. Throw me your cap if you still have issues.

EDIT: Let me know if you're going to need help with transforming the Size, Speed, Acceleration, etc, of the Particles. I might make a cap/tutorial to save you some time instead of this slow back and forth if so.

EDIT2: Just noticed you were in chat, I'm in there for about the next 20 to 30 minutes if you need help directly.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:49 pm

Yeah that was it. Works like a charm.

As to the size, all sprites will be set to the same z so thats no issue.

Thanks!
Image Image
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic