Families are overrated?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:25 pm

I have 24 aliments who need makes 16 different fusions and all have drag and drop. Families here are very useful.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:42 pm

I think my previous replies still explain what all the fuss is about for most people tokinsom, but I just now realized a possible reason why you would think it was easier not use them. when you made minitroid, and possibly other games, you had a clever level editor so it was much more convenient to have the level editor load the level, create a generic object and assign it all the values it needed right then and there. That makes sense why you'd find it a hassle in that type of situation.lucid2012-02-13 17:45:00
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:49 pm

@Lucid Well when you put it that way then yeah, it does look a bit simpler :) Still, the thought of having 20, 30,even 40 different objects that are all enemies or bullets worries me. Knowing that all of that can be compressed into a single object is comforting. Plus it keeps the object list very small. After working with MMF and CC for so long, seeing that object list pile up and having to sift through it drives me insane. Fortunately C2 has a search box there.

I think it's safe to say OUTSIDE of the event sheets using a single object is simpler. With families, if I want to change the values of each bullet or something I'd have to go to the layout editor, find that object, open it's properties, open its instance variables, then change what I want. With a single object I have every single property of every bullet type right there in the event sheet / list.

I guess I just got used to this when working on Bumper's Quest before there were families, and am having a hard time figuring out why I should go back to them.

@Lucid again Yeah that too :P Using a level editor and any "custom" tools I guess can change how you look at and do certain things.Tokinsom2012-02-13 17:58:34
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Families are really more useful in complex games. You can achieve what families do in different ways, but honestly, they are so easy to use that I don't see why I would. In my opinion it cuts dev. time by many times. And that is really the whole point.

If you find yer method easier, then it's fine as well. I'm trying to make an RPG, and trust me, families are a blessing.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:31 pm

I would never use a single object for all entities. It goes totally against my principles as a developer. Can't explain , it just doesn't fill right. Families for me is a must. I admit that having hundreds of different types of entities can become messy. But that's a fault with the IDE like it is now. The fact that an object must be "instantiated" in a scene once to be used contributes a lot to the problem. This is driving me nuts with my current project where there's lots of objects on scene, i don't know where to drag em anymore to put the out of the way. Not only this but selecting objects is a pain right now. If you have one big object that takes the entire screen i can't select anything else. Doesn't matter the layers i want to be able to select what i want. I think there was a command for it ? Can't remember. There could be an option for every object: Selectable, Locked or something. Locked layers is not enough.Kiyoshi2012-02-13 18:32:39
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:19 pm

I use tokinsom's method as well for some of my stuff. It all comes down to preference really. In C-Classic families are a pain in the ass (you can't delete variables once you add them..) so this method is more reliable sometimes. Plus, with this method, it makes it really easy to swap objects on the fly, and can actually reduce code in specific situations.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 pm

You're not required to use any particular features, you can do what you like! You can make multiple objects in one Sprite but my personal preferences is Families is more convenient. It's mainly for more philosophical reasons:

- It's more object-oriented to have each object as a separate object, rather than one object representing many objects. Families represent a base class and its members are derived types, as per OOP.
- It's less events, since you can use families as one object anyway, without conditions checking what kind of object it really is. If you need events specific to one object type, you just make them normally as well.
- I just think it's more intuitive the families way.
- Things like animations can be easier to set up with families.
- Adding a new object type to an existing family should be more straightforward with the families system, since you can just add it and it inherits all its functionality. No need for more subevents or animation events.
- I don't think there's anything wrong with having lots of object types - the folder system allows you to stay well-organised and we hope to add the folder view to the event sheet dialogs in future too.

Still, you can do it either way, it's a personal preference.Ashley2012-02-13 21:48:42
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:56 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley]we hope to add the folder view to the event sheet dialogs in future too.[/QUOTE]

Been waiting for that since CC ;)

and in some spare time you could add "Show in editor" (like in CC), not every object needs to be visible in Event sheets. :)shinkan2012-02-13 21:56:23
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:59 pm

also things like that are easier to do with families
closeDetection.capx
With family you can more easily filter 2 instances of the same object type and always know in expression which is which.
You filter the first one with the objecttype name, the other one with the family name and you can do complicated operation between them.
Without family it's still possible but you would have to do that in more convoluted ways.
Last edited by Yann on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 pm

That's a good point @Yann, using families as a second independent object-picking list is probably the best unintended feature of families!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General