A Simple way to use families:
1. Add your sprites to the game (say all your "Enemy" sprites)
2. Create a Family called "Enemy Family"
3. Add all the enemy sprites to this Family
<Key Part below>
4. Add instance variables to your Family. Each variable will now become available to the individual members in the family
5. In C2, you need to have at least one instance on the layout (maybe outside the view) to be able to create them on runtime. Make sure you have at least one instance of each of the Enemies created on the layout
6. Edit the inherited instance variables of individual members in the Enemy Family. You will notice that each member retains the value set to its instance variable.
Eg: 'Health' is a Family variable. 'Health' for EnemyMemberA can be 100 and for EnemyMemberB can be 200.
Even when you spawn individual Family Members at runtime, they will get created with the initial set of individual values for the instance variable.
Hope this helps.