Family Solution

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:32 am

Problem Description
Pick a family instance, tell the event system to spawn that exact instance in another location, it doesn't pick the correct instance to respawn. In fact, it appears to pick a random instance.

Attach a Capx
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_4xfu ... sp=sharing

Description of Capx
Holding down touch will make the object remain on screen, releasing will destroy the newly spawned object.

Steps to Reproduce Bug
  • Run on PC or Mobile.
  • Touch or Click on the colored boxes on the top of the screen.
  • Notice the correct instance isn't picked...it seems random.

Observed Result
Correct instances are not picked, instead they may be picking randomly...

Expected Result
When I touch red it should spawn red, when I touch yellow it should spawn yellow, when I touch blue it should spawn blue, etc...

Affected Browsers
  • Chrome: YES
  • FireFox: ?
  • Android OS: YES

Operating System and Service Pack
Windows 7 64 bit

Construct 2 Version ID
r-167.2
Last edited by STARTECHSTUDIOS on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 15 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Does anyone know how to solve this???
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:50 pm

That's the way families work. 'Create/Spawn', on a family, is random. You have to create the specific instance instead.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:45 pm

I thought the engine would be smart enough to know which instance of the family object I picked and then be able to reproduce that...Guess not.. :(
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:34 pm

I wonder if it would be easy enough to make families work this way, it sure seems logical and consistent with the way all of the other events work within C2.

I was actually a little surprised that they didn't already work this way, it seems intuitive and simple that they would work just like this... - It would be a good feature to have...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:24 pm

STARTECHSTUDIOS wrote:I wonder if it would be easy enough to make families work this way, it sure seems logical and consistent with the way all of the other events work within C2.

I was actually a little surprised that they didn't already work this way, it seems intuitive and simple that they would work just like this... - It would be a good feature to have...

Yes i agree with you. It would be great if we have this feature and seperate feature for generate random family object instance (like currently we have).
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:04 pm

I thought if there was already an SOL built list, then family create it would also create the same type. But it's not. in fact as I understand Random Family is far from being a bug. It is random specifically for the Randomness. So it is smart, it is by design to generate randomly. It's not an accident or incidental. It is a feature design.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:23 pm

Families generate a random instance if you create them alone in events, yes, but if you pick an instance of said family, should it not re-create that exact instance?

In other words, there are easy ways of creating a random family instance, but not easy ways of creating a specific family instance using the family object.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Just to be specific,

I have a nice little shop full of items. All of the items are under the family named "items", and I want the user to be able to touch an "items" object and have that "items" object display largely on the virtual table in front of them.

I told Construct 2 to display the exact "items" object the user touched, but instead it picks a random item. Shouldn't Construct 2 display a random family instance if I tell it to display a family instance without picking one first, but if I specify which family instance I'm talking about, should it not display that instance, same as how all the other events work in Construct 2?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 pm

Same problem here and I'm not sure how to work aorund it ( obviosuly, I may repeat the same event for every object in the family but that's families for after all).

Let me know if you figure out how to solve it.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Closed bugs