FAQ

0 favourites
  • Q: Why isn't there an image editor like Construct Classic had?

or - How do I get alpha channel (transparency) support?

A: C2 is very early in development and we haven't made a built-in image editor yet. In the meantime, we launch the system default image editor. Unless you install something else, this is MS Paint, which does not have alpha support! Install another image editor like Paint.NET (free), which has good alpha channel support, and it will launch instead. We're still working on a built-in image editor which should be coming soon!

Q: I hear a licensing system mentioned. How is this going to work?

A: Scirra developers would like to make some money while developing C2. This in turn is supposed to allow them to work full time on C2, making it even better than they could do before by working part-time. Scirra are still considering their options on how the license can work. In the mean time, test builds are limited to 90 days. We're releasing at least once a month right now, so you won't ever be without a working build.

However, there will be an option for early adopters (you lot) to get cheap licenses!

Q: What are these exporters I'm hearing about?

A: Exporters compile projects into various formats for use on different platforms. They are modular and can be made by anyone, just like a plugin. This means C2 can support new platforms easily in future!

Q: Why is HTML5 the main exporter?

A: The HTML5 exporter is being made first mainly because it is multiplatform, and the future of the web. Having immediate multiplatform support is meant to attract as many users to C2 as early as possible.

Q: Will there be an EXE exporter?

A: Yes, eventually. Either the Scirra devs will make one, or a third-party will make one. With the modular exporter system, it could be both. By the time C2 can be used for much, there will probably be an EXE exporter.

Q: I hear HTML5 is slow. Is it?

A: HTML5 is a relatively new standard, and some old browsers don't support it very well. However, new browsers hardware-accelerate their canvases, and compile javascript to machine code. This makes for very fast running games. They won't be quite as fast as EXE games, but it should definitely be fast enough for games. As time goes by, old browsers will be phased out and everyone will have these fast browsers.

Q: Does HTML5 allow pixel shaders?

A: No, HTML5 does not support pixel shaders yet. However, there are some simple effects, like additive, available for sprites.

Q: What happened to (or where is) <some feature>?

A: C2 is very young. Features will be added in time. We probably want to add that feature, but haven't got there yet. We're trying to nail down all the basic features to make C2 useful first, then we'll come back to flesh things out later.

Q: Is Construct 2 still open source?

A: The IDE is now closed source, because Scirra can't sell it if it's open source. However, the HTML5 exporter is planned to be open-sourced soon.

Q: Can I import 0.x .cap files to Construct 2?

A: Unfortunately not - read the last section of this for why.

• Thanks - good FAQ.

• Nice FAQ!

So for now the donating function doesnt work?

• No, it does, the program offers to take you here where you can pay what you want for Construct 2 - this is live and working. I guess the answer makes it sound uncertain, but we are definitely going with pay-what-you-want initially, and you can make payments now if you wish.

Perhaps a better answer for the last question would be:

Q: I hear a payment system mentioned. How is this going to work?

A: Scirra developers would like to make some money while developing C2. This in turn is supposed to help motivate them to complete C2 faster and/or better. As an experiment, Construct 2 has been released as "pay-what-you-want" software. You can choose how much you pay for it, or use it for free. A possible future idea is to sell additional exporters, but pay-what-you-want is all there is right now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Oh, I didn't realize it was actually working. I updated with the improved answer.

• My question is

How long do you think until C2 catches up to where C1 left off (in terms of all the features and plug-ins) ?

• I really can't think of a good answer to that question. Sorry. I'm going to have to leave it as an unknown.

• I thought I would post this question, as it could become a FAQ.

What do older videocards "like" more: directx (C0.x) or opengl (C2)?

• I'm not sure, I haven't used an "old" video card in ages. I think the install base of half-decent graphics cards is now nearly everyone. DirectX and OpenGL seem to be equally well supported now.

• I thought I would post this question, as it could become a FAQ.

What do older videocards "like" more: directx (C0.x) or opengl (C2)?

Define "older video cards." My advice is, when in doubt, assume DirectX will run better. (especially if it is an Intel IGP)

I'm not sure, I haven't used an "old" video card in ages. I think the install base of half-decent graphics cards is now nearly everyone. DirectX and OpenGL seem to be equally well supported now.

Define "half-decent." Most people still have IGPs. Though IGPs vary, too. Some are pretty good these days.

• IGPs get the job done providing they have decent drivers. I think the driver support is much better now - historically IGPs had very much half-baked drivers which made them seem glitchy.

• I'm sure it has been talked about but I'm not sure what was the decision to it. Will the maker be able to run on Linux?(at least in wine) or is it only for games which are cross-platform

• The editor will be Windows only. It won't run on Wine, at least not yet. That's up to the people who develop Wine.

• My question:

Are you still going to develop Construct 1.x?

• That's explained here:

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)