FDK (shoot the boss game)

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:05 am

Hehe, thanks.

Yeah, controls/speed and acceleration are handled randomly. As soon as you get used to hold CTRL+SPACE to break, it's very easy to go around. I kinda tweaked them like this (seriously, took me days :P) so it suits my way of playing and don't forget-it's a jetpack, not supposed to be stable anyway :D.

However, I have a bunch of problems now myself. I think my game got corrupted somewhere along the way for this problem to happen.

I've discovered two things. If Mod object is on the layout, regardless that there are no actions to call it, the game will freeze if you try to play it twice in the row (without exiting the game) with CPU usage reporting 100%. If Mod is removed from layout (not just actions but the 'object' itself), the game will play over and over again without freezing.

However, in this case, new thing happens. Once you play the game second time in the row, for a several long seconds CTRL is not recognized and everything else just stays there even though you can still move around. Once the CTRL 'is back', you can continue with the game as the enemies will suddenly be brought back to life.

Can any of you play it with Mod, twice in the row (without exiting) and please report whether it freezes for you or whether that CTRL thing happens?

Thanks again and sorry for all these versions and stuff, it does feel like spamming :P.
B
G

Post » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:15 am

Controls made me wanna turn it off almost immediately. I didn't though, and easily found a spot under the boss where I couldn't be hit and just held the fire button down.

The art is decent enough, but I would rethink the controls.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:51 pm

Here's the (most likely) final version with the list of some changes.

-Mod plays now, no freezing.
-Added damage for the spots too close to enemy.
-Cursor is now (in)visible where it should be.
-Added 3 random bullets below skeletons.
-definitely triple checked that all effects are Off where not supported.

The only thing I could not fix or force is the 'CTRL paused' thing if played again without exiting.
I've no idea why that happens and the only way to go about it is to press that key until the thing starts (sometimes it's right away, other times takes several seconds). :?:

Download

http://www.2shared.com/file/3699056/285 ... final.html

Enjoy.
B
G

Post » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:49 pm

I'll have to try the new one when I get home tonight. Its a cool idea for a demo, but like the others have said the controls take some getting used to. A little choppy at times, too... but that just might be my computer.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:19 am

The graphics are really groovy, and the effects are cool, I could see it being much more enjoyable if the controls weren't so strange. Definitely needs a new control system, the dude faces directions you don't expect, and since there's so much going on, it's near impossible to shoot at the boss and dodge bullets, the controls are the only thing holding it back from awesomeness.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:10 am

I came to say exactly what AsparagusTrevor said. Awesome graphics, but too damn hard... mainly because of the controls.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:34 pm

Ok, this is as much as I can do with it as it is the basic 8dir movement. I've removed the extra speed, de/acceleration and stuff. Doesn't feel too much different though, just slower somewhat but it might work, dunno.
Also, press Space at almost all times, especially when you want to position yourself to face any angle as this key is probably the most useful here. If characters is facing weird spot or just seems to speed up to his own death, press space. Rotation is also as fast as your fingers are, really can't do much about it but in general with space down at the same time, positioning is easy.
Try it out and see if this one is working for you.

http://www.2shared.com/file/3722108/d8d56cec/FDK.html

It's only Exe in there, about 2megs.

Forgot, press P to pause and Enter to continue (should have mapped the same key though, next game then :D).
B
G

Post » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:37 pm

[quote="Attan":21e0co1l]"An unexpected error occurred and the application was terminated. We apologise for the inconvenience. Please report this bug to the application vendor."

This popps up as soon as I try to run the app, and I hearby report it.

Btw; that screenshot is bitchin.[/quote:21e0co1l]

I'm getting the same problem with the Final link... I probably should get to my laptop before I try these games...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:24 pm

Love your artwork as always ! :D

It plays a lot better now with the random acceleration removed.

My only other suggestion might be that it would play better if the character always looked at the mouse. Like you set the direction Rotation property in the eight direction to none, and then add an action

Always : rotate 500 * timedelta towards MouseX, MouseY

And that I imagine would make it play easier.

However, it might make it too easy. I think some of the challenge in the game comes from the face you aim in the direction you look...so you have to actually move in order to face a different direction which makes things a lot more tricky!

Up to you :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks ppl :D

For the App Termination Error, hmm..it shouldn't happen if that error is connected with initializing all the ps effects as they are turned off. However, I'm not sure if that error points to that or general lack of hardware power?

David, I've tried that thing with look at mouse always. The game so far didn't use the mouse so with this mouse look implemented what happens is that you do have to play with mouse and positioning is fast (as fast as your mouse/hand movement). However, the problem in my case is that..well, you have to use arrow keys, ctrl to fire and eventually shift+space together with mouse movement.
Does anyone wants that version? I'm asking cause I find it hard to control all of this at the same time :P.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations