[Feature request]- add type writer option to text object

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • I was wondering if this feature could be added to enchance the text object with using properties and actions that display the text. I would like to have a build in function that allows easylie tell the text object optionally to display the text by typing it instead of just instantly showing it with options like speed, typing by letters or whole words, that kind of stuff. I know some is already possible with code but it would be nice if it was more build in the text object instead of having ppl spend time figuring out the necessary code each time they want it in the game like rpg like:

left(SourceText.Text, len(DestText.Text) + 1)

It could really had been made easyer than that...

• I suggest you take a look at this https://www.scirra.com/forum/typewriter-text-effect_t63552 (found in FAQ )

• I suggest you take a look at this https://www.scirra.com/forum/typewriter-text-effect_t63552 (found in FAQ )

I did, which is exagtly why i intentionally already included the code from that example, but i like the properties on behaviors that give lots of quick options to adjust them so i thought it would be great if the text object had some enchancement like that as well with a type writer

• Miu3 , I agree with you, the text object needs a lot of attention and it should support a lot more features, like multiple charachter size, bold/italic/underline, per-line alignment, multiple colors etc.

The typing effects further add to the user experience on the one end, while making the development part easier on the other end...

Meanwhile, there are some behaviors made by rexrainbow that add some functions and enhance the default text plugin.

Typing

Text Properties

Scrolling

• Miu3 , I agree with you, the text object needs a lot of attention and it should support a lot more features, like multiple charachter size, bold/italic/underline, per-line alignment, multiple colors etc.

The typing effects further add to the user experience on the one end, while making the development part easier on the other end...

Meanwhile, there are some behaviors made by rexrainbow that add some functions and enhance the default text plugin.

Typing

Text Properties

Scrolling

Thankyou for sharing, the plugin seems to have all the functions id like to see in the text object but this one requires a second plugin called timer to work. Not sure if this whole setup aproach is any easyer than just copying that code... which is what im going for, having easyer access to functions in the engine itself. Would be great for beginners too

• Miu3 , well, the "Typing" behavior does provide a lot of useful actions and conditions that are easily accessible. I didn't remember that there are other plugin dependencies but if you make this initial step and set the behavior in C2, the rest are pretty easy, trust me, much easier than copying code all the time...

• Miu3

eli0s

It needs a timer behavior if using built-in plugins/behaviors.

Timer in rex_text_typing behavior in embedded in rex_timeline plugin, so user needs to add it. Here is the document of rex_text_typing behavior.

• I think text styling options like eli0s mentioned would be a great addition to the text object.

Typewriter would be okay too, but it doesn't feel like this would really add anything - at least not for me.

• mindfaQ

eli0s

This plugin could display characters with multiple colors, sizes, and fonts. (or add a text shadow!)

• rexrainbow , as always you rock! I just wish that those functions were somehow more integrated into the basic text object and easily accessible without the need to have a lot of different plugins/behaviors that use their own logic.

I mean some basic formatting within the text object like ...[\b] or

[\size] or ...[\color] or even [shadow]...[\] would really add some coherence to the workflow (forward slash is inverted for displaying reasons)...

Anyway, I'm glad you are around though!!! Thank you for your amazing work!

• Yep I know your plugin rex and it's great. I would love those features in the normal text object so everyone could enjoy them.

Since we are talking about styling text; is there a way to replicate something like the stroke layer effect in photoshop for text (= basically an outline around the characters)? I've looked through the standard effects in C2, but have not found one that would emulate that effect (or even do a drop shadow).

• rexrainbow , as always you rock! I just wish that those functions were somehow more integrated into the basic text object and easily accessible without the need to have a lot of different plugins/behaviors that use their own logic.

I mean some basic formatting within the text object like ...[\b] or

[\size] or ...[\color] or even [shadow]...[\] would really add some coherence to the workflow (forward slash is inverted for displaying reasons)...

Anyway, I'm glad you are around though!!! Thank you for your amazing work!

+1

eeexagtly

• I made a simple AVG ads on my website using rexrainbow 's typing behavior and lot's other cool plugins like: typing, scenario, tweentask, function2...

This banner utilizes my dialog box template. It was a interesting module codes for my private project and now published to Scirra Store:

https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-fr ... module-776

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I made a simple AVG ads on my website using rexrainbow 's typing behavior and lot's other cool plugins like: typing, scenario, tweentask, function2...

http://www.memoryabc.com

This banner utilizes my dialog box template. It was a interesting module codes for my private project and now published to Scirra Store:

https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-fr ... module-776

• I mean some basic formatting within the text object like ...[\b] or

I totally agree. Being able to italicize/bold/underline a single word within the text object would be, like, a +255 to Effectiveness.

I have a pretty heavy draw on text objects in my project for a custom dialogue system that currently flows great, but can't do some of these simple formats. As it is right now, later in development, I may have to carve all of it out and replace it with Rex's (R)excellent plugin.

It'd be great if a future update could incorporate these into the Text Object, so +1 to this Feature Request!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)