[Feature Request] Audio: Actions

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:03 am

eli0s wrote:@tulamide has already made some really good suggestions in this topic ( viewtopic.php?f=146&t=88745&hilit=+advanced+audio ) , but since then the audio plugin has been neglected from any advancements.

In the very same topic, Ashley told about the issues he has. If it were web audio alone, it could have happened already. But since audio must also work the very same way on other audio engines as well, he is bound to use the lowest common factor that works on all engines. Unfortunately.

Nevertheless, fading options integrated in audio actions make sense. It is rather simple code, should work with all engines (since it is just volume automation) and frees the developer of games from repeatedly do the same thing over and over again. A convenience option, so to say :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:09 am

Ya I think everyone wants to use fade anyway, may as well be in the standard one. Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:52 am

I've been doing it all manually with lerp and such, but this would definitely simplify things and possibly be more effective.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:31 pm

@tulamide , you are right and yes, this is indeed unfortunate.
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:17 am

@Ashley
May I ask for a word or two? Just something like "Can't do that" or "Great idea! Will be in the next revision!" ? :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:36 pm

We get feature requests and bumps like this daily. There is simply a practical limit on how quickly we can address features, so all I can say is hopefully we will eventually get round to it and I can't provide an ETA. It's already possible to do this with events (or third party plugin? haven't looked at it myself) so I don't see it as urgent, it's just a way to make something already possible a bit easier. Also I don't think this suggestion is as straightforward as you might think: ideally such a feature would be able to apply to any audio parameter, not just volume, allowing you to "fade" anything from the volume to a convolution wet/dry mix over time using a variety of curves (e.g. linear, logarithmic, cosine etc). Then there's the internal complexity of the Audio plugin which currently supports four audio APIs (only two are really relevant today, but we don't want to remove the old ones in case people still rely on them), and this makes changes a little tricky sometimes - it probably needs a rewrite or overhaul.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General