Feature Request for C3 - Enemy Behaviour Editor

Post » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Ashley wrote:
matriax wrote:General tab
I don't know if i understand what you mean. When you click to "choose" the idea is open the same tab that on editor to pick one of the objects in your project. But i guess maybe this is not possible and this have to appear in the events editor?.

My main question was: it shows "select target object", "select collision object" etc - how does the editor know to put those there? Presumably the user has to select what to put there - how does that work? How does it integrate with events? What's the workflow?

Duplicate properties tab
No duplicate tab, i copied the same style for fast concept

This makes it pretty confusing to interpret your concept: you made it look like a dialog, but significant features of it are not meant to be in that dialog? Communicating the idea clearly is difficult, but necessary to get the right idea across.

Why are only "platform" and "top-down" tabs available?
At first was only a general features to use in any type of game but i added at the end the top-down because depending of what type of game you are doing you will need one or other properties. So maybe will be better a list or other way to show the properties for all the style games we want to add.

This sounds like steps towards either god-behaviors which try to do everything, rather than small independent behaviors targeted for specific uses, which I think is a better approach to focus on.

Why is only "On collision" listed underneath that and how does the editor know to show that and not a different trigger?
The idea is add the most common features and for more complex behaviours use the event editor. I guess better some kind of list or way to choose the action.

So this duplicates part of the event sheet? I really don't think it's a good idea to duplicate existing parts of the editor, it makes more sense to me to keep everything in one place. And again, who chooses what appears there, and how?

Overall questions about how the editor know what to list
I don't know if i understand this.

My point is: where does the information come from? For example your mockup appears to mix both the Platform and Bullet behaviors, and the cells in the bottom-right appear focused on the platform behavior. Why those properties? Do we hard-code those in to the engine, or are they user-configurable? How does the user configure them? How does the user define what "One touch = kill" does? There are just so many questions about how this would actually work in practice that I would say you've shown a concept for maybe 10% of the idea.

We've been doing Construct a long time and we also have a good sense of what confuses new users, what annoys experienced users, etc. I'm not trying to rip apart your idea because I don't like it, it's just this is exactly what we do internally when approaching a new feature. There are a great many angles on it, ranging from user experience, to the performance overhead in the engine. If you can go through a similar process when coming up with feature ideas, it's much easier to actually consider it, and that would help you convince us to do what you want.

This could become a sticky or tutorial titled: you have a feature request? Read this first :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 am

The main issue @ashley seems to have with this is specifics, ie: it's specifically only useful for enemies and wouldn't have any other abstract uses. Well, what's a platform behaviour do, other than platform movements?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:50 am

Zebbi wrote:The main issue @ashley seems to have with this is specifics, ie: it's specifically only useful for enemies and wouldn't have any other abstract uses. Well, what's a platform behaviour do, other than platform movements?

Platform is for platform games.
Enemies can be in every genre and type of games. So it needs to be more abstract I think.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 am

Wouldn't just being able to copy a Group from one project into another carrying all referenced/dependant, variables, functions, sprites and other plugins with their behaviours, layers referenced, with all appropriate settings etc from within that Group...solve the same issue and be wider in scope?

It wouldn’t guarantee that the pasted group would function properly straight away but you would be a lot closer a lot faster than picking through events line by line copying variables and other objects referenced, then finally copying the events.

I assume this is something similar to the modular system you guys are talking about. If I’m totally off subject please ignore me I’m a little groggy this morning….
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:54 pm

mumu64 wrote:
Zebbi wrote:The main issue @ashley seems to have with this is specifics, ie: it's specifically only useful for enemies and wouldn't have any other abstract uses. Well, what's a platform behaviour do, other than platform movements?

Platform is for platform games.
Enemies can be in every genre and type of games. So it needs to be more abstract I think.

True, but the species of an enemy will always relate to an enemy, regardless of genre, and therefore should be universal to any game type really.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:12 pm

I guess i could be possible to ....

...1/ ... save a Family as a Family Template (without the objects).
...2/ ... make it possible to copy/past Family's as a Template (so, without the objects) between layouts/projects.

This way you could store anything and everything that is attached to a Family (instance variables, effects, behaviours) .... And recall it later in any project/layout .. even share it with any and everyone.

All you have to do then, to have a sorta kinda reusable behaviour bank, is add the objects.
I know a empty family needs to be addressed then.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to General Discussion