[Feature Request] Functions List

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Template for scrollable list, fully documented in comment and video
  • Hey Ashley ,

Today , I lost 5 hours debugging just because a function wasn't properly written ...

So , I'm asking for a function dropbox , like the layout one , i'll make our lifes easier and we won't loose 5 hours debugging like I did ...

Thanks !

• No idea what you are talking about.

• When you call functions , you need to write a text , why not add an option for a drop menu with all the already created functions ? There'll be less chances of error and better arrangment possibilities when you are flooded with functions ...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well that's part of the deal with functions. You get a value you can change on the fly, sort of like the ability to create variables without declaring them first.

Actually, doing a variable comparison is a lot closer to what you described.

• newt , well yeah ... maybe correct it to the nearest function if it's not in the list ... because I had a 5 hours debugging session just because I added a space ...

Maybe just an error message that displays if the function doesn't exist ...

• Whenever I create a function, I always save its name to a source, like an array, variable, xml file, etc. That way, I can reference that source whenever the function needs to be called so I avoid issues like this.

• Maybe just an error message that displays if the function doesn't exist ...

zatyka , It would be a huge timesaver if this little detail was added ...

• There was an idea on another thread to have comboboxes for several kind of objects where possible

Pick from the dropdown list, or stick with the possibility dynamic expressions... best of the two worlds

• zatyka , It would be a huge timesaver if this little detail was added ...

It would be nice, but my solution works for the time being.

• Maybe just an error message that displays if the function doesn't exist ...

If I recall correctly, at least chrome console displays an error message.

• vee41

I'm talking about the event sheet ... displays an error when you don't write the correct function ...

• I see value in having a drop list of all the functions

that you created, better then having to remember them but I would say low on feature list I also bet its probably simple for Ashley to add.

• Construct 2 already logs the following message to the console if you call a function that doesn't exist:

"[Construct 2] Function object: called function 'blah', but no event was triggered. Is the function call spelt incorrectly or no longer used?"

If you're not already keeping an eye on the browser console while developing, then you should.

Dropdowns can make the workflow a little clunky sometimes; if you want to add a 'Call function' action then afterwards make the 'On function' event, if there's a dropdown which only shows existing functions, you can't add the 'Call function' action first.

• Ashley , could we get that incorporated in the editor ?

• Get what incorporated to the editor?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)