[FEATURE REQUEST] Isometric game character movement.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:16 pm

@ashley is it possible to have a movement function in isometric game like the first fallout and diablo games? if i remember right these games are 2d. So i was wondering if we could have such a possibility in future releases of c2.

With pathfinding and grid movement all in isometric view.

thanks in advance.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Rex may have the plugins you are looking for. Also I don't know who did it, but some one did an ISO template they were releasing.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:01 pm

this would be interesting and open a multitude of new possibilities
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:52 pm

Well what features do you expect? The easy way would be just to add expressions to convert to isometric xy, which is so simple it really doesn't warrant expressions, or a plug.
Or change the whole engine, and editor to make all existing plugs/behaviors project to isometric coordinates, which would qualify as not easy.

A template might be a good way to go, but I don't want to release something that will become obsolete if some features were to become available.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:34 pm

I don't know guys i think that it will bring as @bjadams wrote new possibilities. Fallout 1 (and 2) is a 2d game diablo 1 too baldurs gate also even the new shadowrun returns is a 2d game but these were not the games (i've got to admit it) i've got in mind.it was a doodle game for the 50th anniversary of doctor who .
http://www.google.com/doodles/doctor-wh ... nniversary
i like it very much it was fun to play it and i thought why not to be able to make it with c2?

i tried some plugins of rexrainbow and thanks to him who tell me wich plugin to use but chrome and firefox gave me errors when i tried to run a game and because of lack of free time i dont try it too much for now. i hope next week have more free time.

so i thought ok its almost easy to make a crappy bird clone why not to have the ability for something more. i don't ask a 3rd dimension for c2 (i did it in the past...). we stay as we are in 2d.

Maybe its a lot work to be done but i think isometric movement with pathfinding is worth it.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:01 pm

That's completely doable to do in C2 as is, but you also have to think of it asset wise as each character needs a lot of different animations.
Standing, walking, running, attacking, jumping, dieing, all with four directions.
This is the reason you don't see a bunch of isometric games already.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:07 pm

this is not the problem the animations are ready and waiting. i use blender for some time and i think i can handle it.
doctors who doodle game uses mouse snapping and i saw a tutorial already about it in the tutorials section. the pathfinding i find it difficult and move along the tiles. i use the move expression and what i achieve was a teleportation from tile to tile... disaster....

i hope @ashley at least answer to my request if he see it. if its a yes ill be very happy if its a no moving on no hard feelings ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Perhaps I'm missing something but I would have thought it's already possible in C2 now?
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:33 am

I think what @spy84 is asking for is something like 8 direction isometric movement preset behaviors.

Think of engines like Adventure Game Studio, Visionaire Studio or even RPG Maker and you'll get the idea. :)

Presets like that would be a definite added bonus to Construct 2.

It would make Construct 2 even more 8-)
B
S

Post » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:26 am

OK, iso movement is also a problem since not everybody is going to want the same way to move. There's Diablo style, or grid, etc.
Not sure how 8 direction translates into iso, unless you just mean 8 direction with iso z ordering, which is almost the same as Diablo.

Which brings up another issue with z order, as we don't have an "official" way, and the usual way can be cpu intensive, but manageable.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General