Feature requests - These ones are reasonable.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:43 am

1. Global Boolean Variable and related conditions and actions,
I saw posts dating back to 2011 where Ashley said he was make them. Still hasn't.
Current way to go about something similar is to use a text or number variable and
only ever change it to "True" or "False" for text, and 0 or 1 for number.

2. "Destroy, wait, recreate" action.
This is an interesting action, I think it could save a lot of work-arounds,
e.g. blocks that disappear after the player steps on them.

The current way to go around it is: Create 2 or more animations, one normal one and one "disappeared" one.
The events would go something like this: "On collision with" | Set Animation "X", Disable collisions, disable solid

The problem with this is that you also have to use "X" animation as a timer to set the time until the block "reappears".

A simple action that chooses an object and destroys it, then waits for a time that you set in the engine before recreating the object in it's initial form.

If anyone knows any other features we could use put them in the replies!

EDIT:
Also, I forgot 3, I knew there was something missing, this is the most important one and most useful.

3: A system action to delete specific save slots. Just like using system actions to save and load in named slots, the ability to delete/erase the data in named slots.
Last edited by Nesteris on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:46 am

1) This is requested pretty often. Thing is boolean vars are pretty much useless since you can just use 0 or 1, and I question why Ashley added them in the first place. Maybe because they're easier to toggle (though toggling an integer is pretty damn simple too). You might actually decide you want another state later on and won't be able to add it if you chose a boolean type!

2) I think there's a behavior for this. Either way, there are lots of ways to do this with events. For complex objects you can store it as a JSON string before destruction, then load from that later on. Or just deactivate behaviors and make it invisible. Or store its position in local vars and recreate it after a wait action.

It's difficult adding features when they can be done already by other means, but technically these are workarounds so..eh. Well, #1 at least. I don't think #2 is something that should be built in. Then again I don't think Ashley should have bothered with a lot of C2's features so whatever ^^;;
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:30 am

Tokinsom wrote:1) This is requested pretty often. Thing is boolean vars are pretty much useless since you can just use 0 or 1, and I question why Ashley added them in the first place. Maybe because they're easier to toggle (though toggling an integer is pretty damn simple too). You might actually decide you want another state later on and won't be able to add it if you chose a boolean type!

2) I think there's a behavior for this. Either way, there are lots of ways to do this with events. For complex objects you can store it as a JSON string before destruction, then load from that later on. Or just deactivate behaviors and make it invisible. Or store its position in local vars and recreate it after a wait action.

It's difficult adding features when they can be done already by other means, but technically these are workarounds so..eh. Well, #1 at least. I don't think #2 is something that should be built in. Then again I don't think Ashley should have bothered with a lot of C2's features so whatever ^^;;

For 2)
You could save it in a JSON string before it's destroyed, but what if there's say a path of these block types that the player has to traverse, say 50 blocks that will then be destroyed and need to be recreated in the same position 2-3 seconds after they're destroyed. Would that be possible?

Also I figured out that if you disable solid behaviour AND collisions, then the player will fall when the solid behaviour is disabled. But if you don't disable collisions they're keep standing on the object as if it was still there.

Also, I forgot 3, I knew there was something missing, this is the most important one and most useful.

3: A system action to delete specific save slots. Just like using system actions to save and load in named slots, the ability to delete/erase the data in named slots.

I can't believe I forgot the reason I was making this thread, jesus.

Off topic: @Tokinsom , see my game thread? Wondering what you think of it.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General