[Feedback] Dialogue Box For Lazy People

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:17 pm

robotecollective wrote:Haha, thanks! That was the best demonstration ever and I think this will be useful for a project I'm working on!

Thumbs up.

Thanks! :D If you use it, tell me if you want some things to be improved. I'm working on a (very basic) dialogue editor now, to make it faster and simpler to write the XML.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:32 am

You've been doing a good job, but any plans to optimize and/or cleanup (i.e, make it use less events if possible, which should be a little bit just for optimization's sake) the event logic? You could maybe use an array in place of a bunch of global variables, as long as you're able to read/save array values properly.
Zelda Gamekit (my project)

Example capxs:

Zelda-Style Inventory

Zelda Health

3-saveslot system

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4396pwak0oh7q6/ZeldaDialogueSystem.capx?dl=0]Zelda-like Dialogue[
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:56 am

LaDestitute wrote:You've been doing a good job, but any plans to optimize and/or cleanup (i.e, make it use less events if possible, which should be a little bit just for optimization's sake) the event logic? You could maybe use an array in place of a bunch of global variables, as long as you're able to read/save array values properly.

Haha yes, the more I add things the more it becomes a mess. I didn't think I would use as many variables when I started, and I kept adding them. I will do a clean up of variables and events tomorrow (Peruvian time zone). It'll be better to put all the variables in a dictionary.

Today I made some changes, and now the text resizes itself when it's too big for the dialogue box (except for choices, but I have to improve them first).
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:58 am

@LaDestitute
I just did an update, all the variables are in a dictionary now, I tried to remove a few events too.

I also improved the choices too, before you could have at most 3 different choices. Now you can have as many as you want and the text will automatically resize itself to fit the box.

I will work on giving the possibility to use the mouse, gamepad, and touch in addition to the keyboard-
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Thank you so much for the tutorial, the example and the capx files [email protected]

Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, when I call the function"dialogue" every thing freezes and I get this message on the console :[Construct 2] Function object: called function '', but no event was triggered. Is the function call spelt incorrectly or no longer used?
This happen when I use either "intro" or "skip" as a parameter when calling the function.( i'm using the dialogue xml that come with the tutorial)
When I don't use parameter or misspell it "skiip" the game wouldn't freeze and I get a dialogue box created but no more,

Any of you encountered this issue ?
and
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot it ?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:31 pm

brandonP wrote:Thank you so much for the tutorial, the example and the capx files [email protected]

Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, when I call the function"dialogue" every thing freezes and I get this message on the console :[Construct 2] Function object: called function '', but no event was triggered. Is the function call spelt incorrectly or no longer used?
This happen when I use either "intro" or "skip" as a parameter when calling the function.( i'm using the dialogue xml that come with the tutorial)
When I don't use parameter or misspell it "skiip" the game wouldn't freeze and I get a dialogue box created but no more,

Any of you encountered this issue ?
and
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot it ?

@brandonP
I haven't been online a lot lately so sorry for the late answer. I've never had this problem (yet), can you give me link to a .capx with this problem?

I just added a new feature today, so check out the new demo and the new .capx :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:45 pm

@bbenny93 no worries, thank you for the tremendous work you have done, So it seems that I had a conflict with ONE variable that I called "c" XD, I fixed it tho ;)
For the warning that I told you about on my first message, you still see it even with the capx that you provided, check the console (f12) it's just a warning
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:01 pm

brandonP wrote:@bbenny93 no worries, thank you for the tremendous work you have done, So it seems that I had a conflict with ONE variable that I called "c" XD, I fixed it tho ;)

I will put all the local variable in the dictionnary so it doesn't happen anymore :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:07 pm

Looks very useful. funny example on arcade ^^
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:44 pm

@brandonP
I uploaded a new capx with the names of the local variables changed. Other people shouldn't have this problem now :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests