Feedback on Spriter

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Hey Constructors,

One of my current projects, Galaxias ( galaxias-a-metroidvania-project_t165415 ), uses a custom built modular system to display different heads, bodies, legs, and weapons on screen depending on different conditions. Right now I'm utilizing a bunch of image points and ticks to make that happen, and there are times when I see a drop in responsiveness or lagging body parts.

I'd love to hear from some people that have really utilized Spriter - namely, what were the performance gains like, and was it pretty easy to utilize? Or are there any other quirks to keep in mind?

I've been playing with building sprites and animations this week and it seems like it would be a good direction to go in - but I know it'll be kind of a large undertaking, and considering I just dialed in the current modular system, I'm a little hesitant to start on something else.

Thanks guys in advance for any feedback.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi mudmask,

I recommend you grab the free version of Spriter from our site www.brashmonkey.com and then do some bench-marking to see if it suits your needs.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:18 pm

I really like Spriter, and use it mostly because I didn't want to have to draw all the animations. Although I can't vouch for the performance gains, on paper it makes sense as a way to save a ton of memory.
Luckily, Brashmonkey has some step by step videos as well.
Last edited by ryanrybot on Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Actually ryanrybot, there is no need to rename anything anymore. :) I should notate the tutorial video that that step is no longer needed and hasn't been for a long while.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:02 pm

This thread will tell you all the steps necessary:
https://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php ... nstruct-2/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:29 pm

@ryanrybot - thanks amigo - I figured you were using Spriter to get those silky smooth animations.

@Brashmonkey - thanks for hoping on here and replying super quickly. I actually nabbed the pro version a while back when there was a sale of some kind or some early adopter special (I think) because I anticipated maybe moving to that one day - at least as a way to streamline some of my work. I've been watching a bunch of your videos this week, and I think I'm going to give it a shot. Great job on those btw.

I will still be separating upper body and lower body, but it doesn't see like that should be an issue binding two body parts together as opposed to 3 to 4 +. I'd like to start doing some of my enemy work on there too, where appropriate... but first I'm going to see how this goes.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:38 am

Thanks for the heads-up @Brashmonkey! The last thing I want is to spread misinformation.
It's been a while since I've imported any animations, and should have researched before I spoke. :)
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:54 am

I got it, highly recommend it, make sure you go through some of their video tutorials, will help a lot, and save you lots of times on certain animations
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:35 am

@ryanrybot
No problem, I should have updated the video to mention that step is not necessary. Cheers.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:42 am

Don't forget, Spriter also has a built in manual (choose help/help in Spriter's menu)

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General