feedback / questions r51

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 am

Service pack 2 is basically mandatory nowadays. SP3 even more so. At work I install Windows XP onto machines, I always apply those service packs otherwise users run into many problems.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:44 am

as a system admin i would probably do the same.(be on the sure side of things some may call it)

but as a user i wouldnt like to install the update myself only to run
1 software more than before when everything is working like it should.

do i like to use or sell software that forces to install new hardware/software until really necessary for quality ? and no option even to start or run maybe with scaling renderquality or 1 or 2 missing extra features ?

one good example for that are imo the wc3/wow or guildwars engine. i think most people prefer it that way. so i try to keep the dependency
low in general.
guess we all agree a sp2 install maybe with a directx update is
the general minimum standard atm for most high end studios.
i read of dx10 only games, but there are more xp sp1 compatible games in development overall than games that work only with vista. even if that isnt the case i still like it more because the hardware is still there - a software only lock from xp standard install to sp3 is not my thing. same hardware same performance, software should be scaleable unless theres a good explanation.
most would rather experience a slower software/game with some gfx missing than a starting error.
of course every dev has to make her/his reasonable min. requirements.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:02 pm

It may be possible to back-port the OpenGL runtime (when we make it) to XP SP1 (or even no service pack at all!), but it gets increasingly difficult the further back you go. For example, C2 uses a local HTTP server to preview HTML5 games on. The HTTP server is provided by XP SP2 and later. Therefore, to support SP1 and earlier, we'd have to find an alternative HTTP server API or write one ourselves, which would cost time/money, and hold back other features we really need to do. Then, there might be 3 or 4 other features we need to repeat that process for, because they're only supported by SP2 and up. So it could be a lot of work, all for people who haven't installed a free update that was released about 7 years ago.

So writing a runtime from scratch we might be able to do it, but from the developer's perspective, it makes things more complicated and time-consuming, which is especially expensive for small businesses that don't have whole teams of programmers to throw at problems.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Doesn't Windows XP download service packs automatically? Why would people use old ones? If they are they are using old versions they're probably not gamers anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:26 pm

There are lots of reasons people don't update software:
- they don't understand what it is,
- they don't care,
- they don't want to go through the hassle of half hour or more installs, especially if it might break something,
- they might not have bought the software through "proper channels" and are nervous about updates,
- they work at a large corporation with an IT department with an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ethic,
etc. etc. It's definitely best for everyone to use up-to-date software - usually it's faster, better and more secure. However, not everyone is knowledgable about technology, and might not see it that way.Ashley2011-08-25 13:27:59
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General