Fibreoptic Internet

0 favourites
  • I should have it in the next week or so.

Hopefully it's as good as it sounds. The promised 100mbit speed should be slightly better than my current 5mbit (which is SUPPOSED to be 24mbit, but thanks to shitty copper wires all over this city, I get just over 5 instead).

~Sol

• Yay! 100/8 is... 12.8* megs in one second? o_0

As for me, I'm on Three mobile broadband at the moment. 1.22 down, 0.31 up, 167ms latency according to speedtest.net. Much better than dialup, so I'm happy

* I am well aware that this is a very crude estimate and that bits -> bytes depends on server side compression and many other things

• i had dial-up until a little over a year ago.

• Dial-up wow.... thats like... old

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hahahah weeeew dial-up!

Yeah I'm noe reconsidering this... it would be nice etc, but I don't want to get locked in to a 2 year contract with a new technology... I can see the prices dropping like mad once the roll-out is complete.

Will be making up my mind by tomorrow afternoon so I can call and cancel if I still feel unsure about it.

~Sol

• I have 10/2 I think and it's fast enough Though im considering gettin 100/5 and it would cost only 37euros a month without any limits (we don't use limits here)

• I should have it in the next week or so.

Hopefully it's as good as it sounds. The promised 100mbit speed should be slightly better than my current 5mbit (which is SUPPOSED to be 24mbit, but thanks to shitty copper wires all over this city, I get just over 5 instead).

~Sol

SoldjahBoy,

you are the king of the mountain! Just for fun: you will have 100 megabit per second, my country (the whole country) has nearly 24 gigabit per second.

• prices

This, man... this.

FiOS is like twice as expensive as cable here. As much as I would love to get out from under Comcast's oppressive thumb, it's just too much.

Though with Comcast buying out NBC, prices on Comcast's competitors should drop considerably. Hopefully.

you are the king of the mountain! Just for fun: you will have 100 megabit per second, my country (the whole country) has nearly 24 gigabit per second.

Oh yeah well we get 175 million terabytes per, uh, nanosecond. Yeah. Beat that.

• Yara

LOL xD

deadeye

Yeah, I backed out at the last minute. Price wasn't the issue, I can afford it... but being locked in for two years is going to suck. Seeing as this particular provider is one of the more expensive providers... once the cheaper guys get a hold of the same technology there will be a major price war and I will get the same deal for less than half the current asking price.

For now I will stick with my current ADSL2+ (which is still reasonably fast anyway I guess) and look at Fibre in about a years time when it's more common in the household.

~Sol

• its crazy! I didn't know they had started to offer that domestically... you could get one and rent out a few servers from your basement and make a couple of hundred a month

• Australia is set to go from worlds WORST internet to the worlds BEST internet in the next 12 months.

The problem with renting out server space is the pathetically small bandwidth allocation per month. 30Gb is all you get (uploads are counted as part of that). If you exceed the 30Gb you get "shaped" from 100mbit to 256k. Shit sucks still.

~Sol

• If you exceed the 30Gb you get "shaped" from 100mbit to 256k. Shit sucks still.

still 5 times faster than dial-up

• Soldjah, I'm curious, how much was it going to cost? I, too, was unaware they offered that domestically.

• Soldjah, I'm curious, how much was it going to cost? I, too, was unaware they offered that domestically.

It was $129 a month, but included the phone with it... unlimited phone calls to anywhere in Australia including mobile phones. And no line rental. For $149 a month they threw in a PS3 with the new Singstar (yay >.>) and some keyboard thing for it. I was gonna get the $149 package since I'm still without my own PS3 D:

It is an Optus exlusive deal, and they are currently only offering it in testing areas. I just happen to live in one of the areas they wanted to trial now.

Currently I am paying about $70 a month for the phone as it is, and $70 a month for internet (150Gb ADSL2+), so the cost wasn't the problem... the wife didn't want to get locked in to the 24 month contract for the new internet just in case we wanted to change over or had issues paying at any stage. As it stands, we can cut off our current internet or drop it back from $70 to something cheaper if finances become a problem.

~Sol

• SoldjahBoy,

100 mbps is nice (my 296 kbps is beyond your imagination), but how many sites can handle such speed?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)