fighting game basics

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:47 am

can't reply/send pm to you/anyone else :\

how many rep do I need to send PMs? no clue how rep here increase either.

anyway, the sprites I used were ripped from video games. I'm trying to make a game based on the story of "One Piece" (a japanese manga/anime). The sprites are for public use. I can give you the link to it if you want. I am also ripping sprites from games.

I am still not familiar with the concept of container, among other concepts of C2.

Just to be clear, this is my format so far:

Goons (family)
- Pirate with sword (stand) <----this is what I am only programming so far
- Pirate with sword (air)
- Pirate with knife
- Pirate with bomb
- Pirate with gun
- many others I have planned

Player (family)
- Luffy (only player I have programmed right now)

playerBox (platform body of objects from player family)
playerAttackCLSN (hitbox for player's attacks)

goonBox - platform body for goons objects

In that layout screenshot, I put 4 instances of pirateSwordStand and 4 instances of goonbox (rectangle sprite). So if I use a container, I don't have to manually add a goonbox for each pirate I add to the layout?

I don't understand how using a container will fix the single hurt animation issue. Shouldn't I use an instance variable instead since the hurt animation is per instance of the pirateSwordStand ?
B
S

Post » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 am

The container automatically associates the objects in it with eachother.

So when goonbox is hit if you call the hurt animation for the goon it will automatically pick the assiciated goon.
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:04 pm

Here is your rep page where you can see what you need to finish to get rewards.
https://www.scirra.com/me/rep
Be sure to Thumbs up all the good comments whenever a new update or blog comes out, and vote on games in the arcade.

I believe you need 500 to PM.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:18 pm

@sgn15 the error you got comes when you remain on the reply page for more than I think 10 minutes or so. So the best thing is to type on notepad or some other software and than just paste on the reply text and you won't go wrong.

Hope that helps.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:03 pm

@LittleStain

I read the manual about containers again. I understand the effect of making a container but the actual container in the example is vague (for me). In the example, there is a container that contains both the base and the turret? Am I right? or is the base the container that contains the turret?

In my case, I should select GoonBox and click create container and select PirateSwordStand? or vice versa?

I tried both and in both cases, I got this error message when running the layout

Javascript error! TypeError: cur_frame is undefined http://localhost:50000/Sprite_plugin.js, line 803 (col undefined) This is either a bug in Construct 2 or a problem in a third party plugin or behavior - please report it to the developer!

@Paradox
ok thanks. At first I assumed some staffs was increasing the rep of members posting.

@thehorseman007
that message appeared when I tried to reply to a PM, but yeah I encountered that while posting too. Thanks.
B
S

Post » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:54 pm

That error message doesn't seem to have anything to do with the container, for it speaks of Sprite-plugin.

It could be that adding the container broke some of your events, because of instances still in your layout that weren't correctly referenced anymore. But I haven't had this error myself.

If you could send me your capx, either through the forum or on my email (which I send in my PM) I'll take a look.
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?