First step ideas and suggestions?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
  • Greetings!

I have a spreadsheet about a game I want to make.

I asked around, what I could do to make it an (automatic) game, and they suggested me to try out Construct 2, so here I am.

I want to share the data with you to better help me out:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d

1Qm9xceIWb0Rvi7acymrMucOwNtZ84yqk-N4SbB2WF_U/edit?usp=sharing

(copy both lines to get the link working)

To my questions:

1. Starting a new project opens the template selection window. I scrolled through most of it, but nothing hit me in the eye with a label "YES, THIS IS WHAT I NEED" on it. Which template should I pick up for my upcoming project?

2. Then what?

I obviously need buttons in my game, likely lists too. What else? What do I need to keep in mind? What could I do?

Thanks!

EDIT: After wondering, how to get my spreadsheet link working, I cut it in two.

• You should remove this detailed description of the game from public access.. Someone might want to steal your idea.

So this will be a text based game? Lots of text, number, buttons, lists, dice and some static images?

Construct 2 may not be the best tool for this kind of game. But you can still make it in C2 if you want.

I suggest you start with implementing one mechanics - for example trading or combat. And then add more.

You need to think about how you are going to organize and store all the data. Read a few tutorials about arrays, dictionaries.

Install CSV plugin - you'll definitely need it.

• [quote:224oc2er]You should remove this detailed description of the game from public access.. Someone might want to steal your idea.

Well, basically at least half of my data comes from a phone app (game), so the idea ain't mine alone.

I have "just" added new stuff I'd like to play with.

Therefore I don't feel too worried about stealing.

[quote:224oc2er]So this will be a text based game? Lots of text, number, buttons, lists, dice and some static images?

Probably. I am not 100% aware of game types, and what functions the types have within.

Dices ain't necessary. I just wrote it as a way to deal with randomness the game mechanics offer. One can use number generator too - or in this case, I think the game would choose a random event itself from the event list available, right?

[quote:224oc2er]Construct 2 may not be the best tool for this kind of game. But you can still make it in C2 if you want.

Well, I asked for suggestions in /r/gamedev (Reddit), and one person suggested that I could try my idea out within Construct 2.

If I may say, you can give me any suggestions for any other tool, which could be more "powerful" for the goals I am searching for, if you know any.

I may wish that it's easy to use/learn though, as I don't have skills in gamemaking.

[quote:224oc2er]You need to think about how you are going to organize and store all the data.

I have no idea. These mechanics are not familiar to me.

But I'll look into the info you gave me.

[quote:224oc2er]Install CSV plugin - you'll definitely need it.

Wanna tell me more about CSV? What is it?

---

I think that everywhere, not just in games, you do/implement one thing by one. Adding a little of everything asap would end up in total chaos.

I could start with trade.

Thanks for the reply!

• C2 is more suitable for arcade kind of games - where objects are moving, interacting with each other.

Yours is more like a tabletop game. It doesn't really require any graphics or animation (unless you want to add it).

But it does require a lot of data manipulation, maths etc.

I don't know which development software might be better for this game - Unity maybe? Simply because in Unity you can actually type the code, while in Construct you build it in visual editor and it's not very convenient for a task like this.

However, if you are new to programming, go with C2, it's much easier to grasp for the beginner.

Yes, by "dice" I meant random number generator.

Effectively organizing all game data might be the most important and challenging task in this project.

CSV is a text file containing list of values.

You can basically create them in Excel and import to C2.

For example, your list of enemies may look like this:

Name, ATC, HP, GP

Skeleton, 1, 1, 50

Goblin, 2, 1, 100

Bandit, 3, 2, 250

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, working with (visual) programs is easier for me, compared to learning programming.

Okay, thanks ^^

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)