Fixed framerate problem/bug?

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:18 am

lol oops, posted my on brothers account. So yea the whole point of fixed framerate is that you have pixel perfect precision which runs at the same speed on every pc.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:24 am

That's what TimeDelta is for... you can code near-enough pixel perfect games with timedelta and vsync. I never really intended anyone to use fixed framerate for games. Having all your graphics shredded by display tearing seems a high price to pay for this alleged pixel perfection, too. I don't think any modern commercial games are written with fixed framerate engines.

Also, the concept of fixed framerate games running the same speed on all computers is a myth. It will slow down if the computer can't reach the fixed framerate. Not so with timedelta games.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:17 am

the keyword is "near enough". I need my game to move the objects in increments of exactly 1. I'm very aware that fixed framerate runs slower during lag, but i'm ready to live with that. The game requires pixel precision and the chance of slowdown is minimal. I'm pretty sure that all super nintendo games use a fixed rate engine. The only reason i'm using it is so that the game runs at the same speed on faster displays.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:46 am

I've had to use the minimum framerate approach for tonks in order to keep the physics from falling apart on slower machines. Deadeye helped me test it out, and now physics works uniform on any framerate, whereas before on lower FPS machines, it would do weird stuff.

I'm thinking his method would do exactly what you are looking to achieve.

Also, if you want to find out what it will do ona faster machine, send me your CAP, and ill turn fram limit off and run it on mine... FRAPS it, and return the results.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Out of curiosity, why does your game require moving objects in exact units of 1? There are ways to get a timedelta'd game to do this too.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3148&p=24395#p24395

fixed framerate with frameskip, doesn't slow down nor speed up, at least not if the slowdown is caused by rendering. Calculates logic for each passed game tick, sometimes more than one in a row (cause that's what frameskip is).

Notice the choppyness. Do some interpolation to get rid of it. Your graphics will always be between 1 and 0 logic ticks ahead of your game logic.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic