"Flood limit exceeded"

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:54 pm

Like creating a dummy sprite and assigning it the timer behavior ?

edit : I've done this

But the flood issue is still here. No change. :(
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:27 pm

Well, maybe the server has blacklisted you and you will only ever get flooding warning for some time. :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:52 pm

Would you mind to try this capx ? https://www.dropbox.com/s/mey55anw4rv1d ... .capx?dl=1

It uses the timer thing and you just have to let it run for about 200 seconds.

I'm surprised to encounter such an obstacle, refreshing every X seconds the room list is pretty basic for a multiplayer game.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Hrmm, error on request 198... You might want some hints from @Ashley as to why this happens. Also why would you want to refresh the room list so often ? Normally you would request it once automatically, and allow the user to manually refresh the list once in a while.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:17 pm

When a player creates a new room from the main lobby, it could beforehand make the chat server broadcasting to all peers that this player has created a room. There is no need to request the room list regarding the room creations.

However, as rooms can't send messages to another room, there is no way for the master lobby to know if another room has been shut down (for example, a room host closing his browser). This is the reason why I need to return and refresh the room list from my master lobby.

It could be done every 5 secods instead of 1 or 3 seconds, but I'm pretty sure the issue will remain the same. And waiting for more than 5 seconds to actually see the available room is way too long. Anyway, it's still far from "hundred requests in seconds" to flood the server as Ashley mentionned on another thread.

I could also use a refresh button ; but what if, on average, 30 players hit the refresh button every 20 seconds ? It would be 1 room list request every 1,5 sec, so the issue would be the same again.

Or maybe it wouldn't because the requests would come from various rooms ?
(edit : seems to be per peer, as I did theses requests from the host and peer in parallel and they both did 190+ requests)

I wanted to ask Ashley about my issue but we can't send him private messages from his profile. Any way to contact him besides tagging him as you did ?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:23 am

You can email him at [email protected] I believe :)

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:09 am

I'll reply here, better to post in the forum than privately by email.

The signalling server is specifically designed to kick any clients that send too many messages, to prevent both intentional and unintentional DoS-type attacks, and prevent wasting server resources. For example a common mistake is to accidentally have some kind of message sent to the signalling server every tick. This wastes bandwidth and could impact the service of other users on the signalling server, so by kicking such users it forces them to correct the problem.

Your example .capx still sends way, way too many messages to the signalling server. There is no way you need to update your game list every 500ms. The ping time could even be that high, meaning you're issuing a new request before you've even heard back from the previous one.

You don't even need to update it every second, or 5 seconds. How about every 10 seconds?

If this really is a problem for you and for some reason you want multiple updates per second of the game list, you can always purchase the signalling server from the store, reconfigure the flood limit, and hammer it as hard as you like. But you'll be paying all the bandwidth on that. You can't expect us to pay for servicing an unnecessarily huge number of requests.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:20 am

Thank you for the reply :)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?