FMOD integration

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:35 pm

C-7 wrote:It depends on what you're trying to accomplish, but if you mean something like interactive/adaptive audio, C2 already handles this pretty simply. My games have interactive music that changes based on player input or game conditions, and I just run it all off a variable timer and some simple events. You can also apply DSP effects if you want, though it isn't necessary for my games for music. I don't know how effective the analyzer is in C2, but as far as cues, crossfades, swaps, interuptions, flourishes and all that, you can do that with C2's events as they are now with no extra libraries.

Great to know, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking more along the lines of how I present my music in the asset store at this point-- realizing that the tools are already in place, thanks to the feedback here. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me understand things from your perspective. Cheers!
B
S

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:48 pm

DatapawWolf wrote:@johnrazor I have often heard FMOD mentioned when I was researching Audiosurf/Beat Hazard type games. Could one use FMOD for these? If so, I would be extremely interested. The only other step would be getting a C2 plugin that finally allows us to create games that can import music at runtine.

Just reading through the thread again, and I don't think I understand what you mean when you say importing at runtime-- you mean like this?

1. User launches application, which has no audio imported.
2. Audio is pulled down from a server somewhere, and is not static (names and attributes of audio could be different every time)
3. Audio is played back when triggered by user.

I feel like I'm missing the big picture, here, which is embarassing since I've spent a fair bit of time tinkering in C2. :/

Cheers!
B
S

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:51 pm

2. Audio is pulled down from a server somewhere, and is not static (names and attributes of audio could be different every time)
Yes. As far as I know, there is no good way (or maybe even any way) to create a program that can load audio externally, whether it be from an online server, a local hard drive disk, or whathaveyou.

For instance, I asked this a while ago, and got nothin': viewtopic.php?f=147&t=111496
And this, too: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=110847

Not one reply, even after hopefully bumping them.

What I would like to do is create a game that can load external audio like Audiosurf can (using a plugin like the File Chooser), pre-analyse said audio before playing it and not during, and then create the game level/layout/etc.

It seems that the current state of Construct 2 does not offer these features like, say, Unity and Unreal can. I should probably be switching to either of those engines, and not use C2, but I really do enjoy working in this engine, and hence I'd like to actually develop with it.

/end wall of text
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:24 pm

DatapawWolf wrote:
Yes. As far as I know, there is no good way (or maybe even any way) to create a program that can load audio externally, whether it be from an online server, a local hard drive disk, or whathaveyou.

For instance, I asked this a while ago, and got nothin': viewtopic.php?f=147&t=111496
And this, too: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=110847

Not one reply, even after hopefully bumping them.

What I would like to do is create a game that can load external audio like Audiosurf can (using a plugin like the File Chooser), pre-analyse said audio before playing it and not during, and then create the game level/layout/etc.

It seems that the current state of Construct 2 does not offer these features like, say, Unity and Unreal can. I should probably be switching to either of those engines, and not use C2, but I really do enjoy working in this engine, and hence I'd like to actually develop with it.

/end wall of text

It seems like this could be possible with metadata--- maybe something like this:

Upload audio file to server. Server analyzes audio file and creates XML file based on analysis. User launches application/website, selects audio file, and level is procedurally generated based on the XML metadata file. Something like that?
B
S

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:32 pm

@johnrazor that could be done, but what about playing the file? And what exactly do you mean by "metadata"?
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 pm

Well I was thinking, at first, of ID3 tags, although those are MP3 specific (or at least not applicable to WAV or OGG files).

I just read your two posts you linked, and I understand what you're saying now. Let me kick this around in my head and do a bit more reading and I'll see if I can come up with any ideas. Cheers.
B
S

Post » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:00 am

@johnrazor sounds good for the most part. Just for the tags part, I would like to not rely on them. I think you can technically tag other audio files (even WAV, OGG, FLAC, & etc.), but I would rather leave the analysis up to the server/game, and preferably just the game, if possible, since I'd rather not force my users to require an internet connection to play.

So at best, I'm hoping for a solution that allows a C2 game client to do all analysis and rely completely on said analysis rather than an external server or any sort of audio tags, so users can use any and all kind of audio that their system supports.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Tools and Resources