For game with large quantities of dialogue,should I use XML?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • I'm working on a heavily story-driven RPG project; a major part of the game is characters talking with each other, including branching dialogue trees etc., with the game's total text likely being over 30,000 or 40,000 words.

What's the best way to implement this in C2? An XML file with every line of dialogue and option in branching conversation each having a single line, which the game then reads from?

Thanks!

• You could use an JSON Array so you can sort the text for each character.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Looking into the relative merits of JSON vs XML just now, sounds like you're right! Thanks for the help.

• Here is very nice solution, I am using it in my word game, very big dictionary, so for dialogs will be good too. emanueleferonato.com/2013/04/29/the-basics-of-an-html5-word-game/

This is very good solution. I tried many other even in native for Android Eclipse (Java) and I must say, it working faster and better. Depending on device, with thousands of words in dictionary, player must wait maybe 2-3 seconds only for loading whole dictionary, so try it.

This is not xml, just plain text. Can be .txt but work with any extension. xml maybe will work faster (loading) but with xml tags file will be much bigger.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)