For Glory

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:28 am

Hello dear Constructors,

I was working for some weekends on this small project in Construct and finally got around to get a license (many thanks @Tom for resolving my issue immediately and even coming up with an extra :D To honor this commitment I did an all-nighter and puzzled together the fragments of my last 3 weekends for a small demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGUvDgWcH0Y

And a simple mockup screenshot from last week:

Watch in 720p for 60fps
Everything is work in progress and will most probably change :)
B

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:06 am

Looks awesome - and your audio placeholder works very well with the teaser.

And I love your water effect.

• System > On start of layout | system > load game from slot "brain"
  • System > On load failed | system > scroll to obj_Forum
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 am

Looks brilliant! Be sure to email us when you have a version to play
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:37 am

Such eye-candy xD i'm looking forward to trying this out.
That water compliments everything :D
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the compliments on the water. It's basically a one liner from my old qbasic days :lol: But it's terribly hacked together with lots of constants as the version where I tried to solve the water reflection with simple logic miserably failed :oops:

It also didn't reflect anything on mobile if I recall my previous tests correctly. Is there anything I have to do differently on mobile in regards of GLSL?
B

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:02 pm

You've done some pretty impressive work, although I would be cautious about it looking so much like Luftrausers.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:32 pm

Luftrausers was clearly my inspiration, my first draft looking basically absolute alike just so that I could see what I would face going in this direction :) I have much more plans though on additional stuff and think that the final product will be different enough from luftrausers :)

https://my.mixtape.moe/jlqfth.webm
B

Post » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:21 pm

yeah I'd be super careful.. it doesn't look just inspired by Luftrausers, it's almost identical looking (although I think yours is slightly better looking actually - it could easily be L2!) and it plays the same.. and has the same exact bullets, water mechanic and screen shaking behaviors etc..

but cool reproduction.. so kudos for that..obviously not easy to do.. it looks amazing.

EDIT: just read above that you planned to change it and that it was just a test to see what you could do... I was only saying incase you didn't see it.. I know how when working on something and are super close to it you don't really "see" it anymore..
Last edited by jobel on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm curious how you go about you transition player animations: side view to top view.

in my game I've been playing around with making the player do something like this but my problem is making it smooth, and when held in 1 direction it looks too much like an ordinary sprite. How many frames are you using there? how many animations?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi Jobel, to achieve this effect you need exact 0 animations if you want THIS (just siluette) look. If you have a detailed space ship surface texture, my used approach will look like crap.

In case you want to know anyway, 3 very simple steps:
1. All you need are two sprites. One from the side (Sprite1) facing west and one from top (Sprite2) facing west. I would recommend putting them in the same container.
2. Store the height of each sprite in a variable on each sprite.
3. On every tick:
3a) Set the height of Sprite1 to cos(self.Angle) * self.originalheight
3b) Set position of Sprite2 to Sprite1
3c) Set angle of Sprite2 to the angle of Sprite1
3d) Set the height of Sprite2 to sin(self.Angle) * self.originalheight

You can use this solution with any behavior that modifies the angle of an object, nothing else is required.

At least this is the solution I thought of when I saw Luftrausers for the first time, so I tried it in Construct and liked the final result. Maybe there are other ways to achieve this too (like creating a 3D model in Blender/C4D/3DSMAX/MAYA/... and rendering ~64/128 frames). Luckily we have enough rendering power at hand nowadays so that we don't need to worry about the usage of sin and cos in real time graphics, unlike my QuickBasic days :lol:

Btw regarding similarities to luftrausers: I know it's similar now, but I spent a total of 3 Weekends + 2 days on it so far (the exact same amount of time I spent on Construct 2). I'm at the very beginning and learning Construct 2 at the same time. Walking a similar path along Luftrausers gives me guidance and when I'm happy with what I have _technically_ I'll implement more and more gameplay changes. In the end we all get inspirations from somewhere and have to take it from there to the place we envision. I understand that this looks very much like Luftrausers, but I also know that my vision is so much bigger than what I've achieved so far, so I'm not worried at all if I hear things like "This looks too close to Luftrausers" as I know what MY goal is :)

And no, I did not switch back and forth to Luftrausers to see if my Screenshake effect works in the same way. I actually discovered the screenshake effect in consturct 2 by accident and liked the impact it creates as games without hit feedback are bland as heck (in OMF2097 you could even manually change the hit stop emphasis in the options!) so I'm not sure if all those points are things that are absolute exclusive to Luftrausers, it's not like they created the genre of ships flying around and shooting each other... After all I grew up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_(video_game) :)

I was also working on some other games on Unity and on LibGDX (and previously XNA) but when I'm done with this I'll most likely switch them all over to Construct 2, even though I face some issues with Containers and Families, but I guess that it's just a simple case of EIFOK.
B

Next

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests