[For Hire] Pixel Artist

Looking to build a team or have a job to offer?

Post » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:23 am

Wrangler, another quick question if I may! how large are your sprite images when you work with them in photoshop? I'm new to drawing and what Ive done so far is about 100x100 pixels large, but it comes out so small and blurry when I apply it to my games :S
B

Post » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 am

@Lemonmuncher, I always work in power of two sizes (8x8,16x16,32x32,64x64,128x128,256x256 are the main ones I use for environments) when doing environment tiles. It's the general rule of thumb for games art (I'm almost certain Construct 2 complains about not liking non power-of-2 images), so I always stick with those sizes. It also helps keep all of your art tiles aligned nice and neat to a one-size-fits-all grid.

You don't need to keep it all the sides equally sized though, as long as you keep it a power of 2 number you'll never lose the grid, and Construct 2 won't whine at you about your images being non power of two.

For example, these assets from the jungle temple tileset:
32x32

64x64

16x46

You don't need to fill the whole image like I've done in these examples, but I always tend to keep the canvas size a power of 2 so that I don't get any weird errors, and everything plays nice with the grid.

I hope this helps!
slap it onto the flappy bird template...
bang it on google play with all the other shovelware...
sorted...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Great stuff man! Really useful information for me :D As for character sprites, it doesn't really matter how big they are, am I right? Since they are resizeable?
B

Post » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:50 pm

@Lemonmuncher

Honestly I don't make my character sprites to any set sizes, I'm not really sure what the rule of thumb is for that but it's very rare that any characters will match perfectly to a power of 2 size.
sorted...
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 am

*Changed the first post so it was cleaner (Now has link to a gallery)
*Added a couple of new sci-fi pieces to the gallery
sorted...
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Job Offers and Team Requests