Forums less active?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:04 am

I also think at least 50% of help threads are unnecessary. The answer can be found in the manual, examples or already exisiting threads. But this inevitably comes with the growth of the community.

And I do agree with Tulamide. The environment changed and is much more about making money than simply about making good games. So the "we"-feeling got replaced by a profit attitude, which isn't likely to inspire many of the people who have been around since the beginnings of Construct Classic to lend a helping hand.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:09 am

@PixelRebirth

if change attitude from "I can wait for PlayStation 5, in mean time I will make my serious RPG game" into "I want to make good app, release it without problems and make money on it NOW" will have impact on Construct 2,
then I think that's good news
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:56 am

szymek wrote:@PixelRebirth

if change attitude from "I can wait for PlayStation 5, in mean time I will make my serious RPG game" into "I want to make good app, release it without problems and make money on it NOW" will have impact on Construct 2,
then I think that's good news

I don't know where you get the PS5 stuff from, sure sounds a bit condescending to me.

Anyway, I wasn't really judging in terms of good or bad either, I was rather pointing out that this shift in the community probably keeps regular users, who have been around a long time and therefore have the biggest experience, from replying to help threads as often as they used to.

I myself have been around since ~2008 and there used to be a different vibe. Don't get me wrong, I'm also trying to monetize my games lately. That doesn't mean the focus of game development should be solely profit-oriented, with total disregard for the game itself. At least that's how I... roll? 8-)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:03 pm

I visit the forums daily! I usually mainly check out "Construct 2 General" and "Open Topic" daily, but I browse the other sections randomly. I've had lots of different threads I've wanted to post, but it's usually a small question that really doesn't feel like it needs its own thread. I occasionally post but only when I truly feel that my post will be of high value, so it's not often. :(
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:24 pm

@PixelRebirth

I mean that if there will be more professionals using C2 then at the end it will be better

also I think that it would be nice if Scirra would create some website showing best games made with C2 (with links to their free or paid versions)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:08 pm

I, personally, don't respond to as much stuff because of the ever-present flood of mobile-focused developers.

You make it sound like mobile dev was a bad thing :P
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:25 pm

I'll have to check, but I do beleive the forums are more active. I haven't written any stats scripts for number of posts each day yet, but traffic to the forum itself (number of page views) looks to be trending upwards since the new forum was released.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:49 pm

I've been wondering why I visit these forums less after the latest update. I believe it has to do something with the readability. I made a quick silly mocup of my vision on how to improve the readability. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53898431/Junk/scirra_site_my_improvements_2.jpg
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:02 pm

It is important know that all people that begin in C2 can need help. The forums are the most important tool the beginners have. Really you can be tired because some people do not read the manual, tutorials or use the search utilities, but I think is important the people with experience working with C2 can help to other once in a way which is not possible whit the normal manuals...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:07 pm

I partly disagree Tarkion. The tutorials and search should be a new users first friend. If somebody doesn't even make the attempt, then why should anybody else lose their own time in providing help, when the person in question won't make an attempt to help themselves.

Of course, whether the tutorials or manuals could be better designed for newer players is another question.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General