FPS Combat-System Innovation

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:05 am

I have an example that is rather questionable in their direction. Star Wars Galaxies (RIP) had some fun story lines and decided to change their combat system to better add content 'down the line' too many people liked what they had grown to be used to, no leveling went by skill sets to further their characters, but lets not go there, it is a sensitive subject... NOW, they Have SW: The Old Republic and went to something that is Story driven but lacked in the end game content, now furiously trying to add content fast enough to keep their player base. I guess if you run out of a good story it is not a good thing and the life of that type of game can be fast and furious for a short period and burn out quick because it just burns out the Story too fast.. IMHO
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 am

For me its using something other than guns. My "dream fps " if I ever get around to making it, is to let players choose a set of spells and fight with those in a modern setting. For example a map could be an office building and instead of light machine guns spraying at the guys with shotguns, it would be s guy throwing fireballs while his opponent is lobbing spears of ice with a team coming from the side to flank with an arc of lightning.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:16 pm

http://www.naturalselection2.com/ RTS AND FPS in one game!
B
G

Post » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Love Natural Selection/ Savage / Empires

However I want a traditional RTS were you can directly control the units in first/third person shooter style.
I've been waiting for it since the first Command and conquer.
but sadly it looks like nobody is going to take a good swing at it.

....Guess I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves and do it.

------------------------------------------

As for the FPS system as a whole. I've always wanted them to address the disconnect between how the player imagine's there body. and how there body is actually moving in multiplier.

You feel like your awesome. Charging in, diving behind cover, and slowly peaking around the corner to shoot the enemy.

but that illusion is shattered when you're shot in the head, by the other guy, who saw you lumber like a robot behind a box, that you awkwardly crouched behind, and slowly started to duck-walk around. all the while leaving the top half of your head exposed....

with our current technology, I don't understand why my character can't ,at the very least, try not to get shot.Bartosh2013-01-15 22:51:38
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 am

i would love to see a third person shooter with the vibe of megaman legends, variety of character customization, broad range of robots and vehicles, weapons and monsters, persistent world, multiplayer (mmo if possible) and sand box elements like construct things and change aspects of the world.

i think if the triple A devs spend more time making content instead of graphics they could make something off the call of dude recipe/action button.

for the indies, i think of a blend of blaster master (enter vehicles and stuff) with cave story gameplay, rpg elements, with character customization and multiplayer. starbound is very close to what i imagine on the side of gameplay
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:38 am

@ valdarko
have you seen this?
Cave Vehical Engine

Its data realms attempt to make this game thought up by the guy who makes there art:
metafight

----------------------------------------------------------------------
as far as the megaman legends vibe idea. sadly the industry only likes rail shooters that are grim dark brown.
and Capcom is run by idiots.
so keep on dreaming
Bartosh2013-01-16 02:43:35
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 am

- Gunsight View
- Roll (forward,back,sideways)
- Climbing (soldiers can climb everything up to their size, so fence is no problem[See Hidden and Dangerous 2])
- Realistic Jump, come on, when did you see anybody jump during battle like in CS or Quake 3?
- Limited weaponary, 1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 knife, few nades not more.
- Setting up heavy weapons, most powerful machinguns should require setting up, that would really give more satisfaction from killing with them.
- Taking over vehicles like in Halos

I cant think about more
B
S

Post » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:15 pm

@Bartosh

yep, i have seen this site before, and Arne art, i hope they make this game, the engine is very good and fun to mess

about megaman legends... is sad, i think crapcom is dead

but is funny this thing about grim brown shooter, i agreed with you about the industry taste but, i know a shooter that is quite popular called S4 League and it have bright colors and a cellshading visual style, a little bit like what they made with MML3 visual style direction.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 am

@ valdarko
S4 League looks cool, I'll have to give it a try. nice to know there are people out there who love video games making them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
@ Human
I think the jumping/climbing issue could all be tied into that actual intelligent body system.
why even have jump? in the real world, how often do YOU jump? let alone with a 50 pound backpack on.

It was a simple system implemented to give the floating camera a way to get around in a 3d world. However if you could move about organically by climbing and making small contextual leaps. you wouldn't need the system.

I'm not that big into first person shooters. but since its been the main thing the industry has been making for the last 10 years, you think there would be more significant advances.
Bartosh2013-01-17 06:05:13
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas