fps impact of textures

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi all,
i was wondering if the actual number of textures does directly impact the fps {especialy on mobiles} of the app. For example if i have several sprites with enemies instead of one bigger texture with all the sprites inside. I know that its memory-wise good to have them all in fewer and biger textures but from the point of fps does also make differene?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:14 pm

Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks for the link Ashley, but my dilema is as follows: Im trying to get the draw calls to a minimum and i try to have as few textures as possible. But when im using a Tilemap object - is it wise to load for example a whole 1024 x 1024 texture {where all the game graphcis is} when the tiles for the level are for example on an area of 256 x 256? Or is it better to have the level tiles as a separate texture for the tilemap object? This will create one more texture {and GPU would need to access this one more texture instead of the previous scenario} but maybe its better for the Tilemap object and overal performance?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Construct 2 already spritesheets everything on export so the question of what you do in the editor is pretty irrelevant. FWIW, when I was developing the spritesheet feature, I could not measure any performance impact either way with using no spritesheets, per-object spritesheets, or large global spritesheets, so as far as I am aware it makes absolutely no difference at all, which is unsurprising since questions like this are often a waste of time.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Ashley wrote:Construct 2 already spritesheets everything on export so the question of what you do in the editor is pretty irrelevant. FWIW, when I was developing the spritesheet feature, I could not measure any performance impact either way with using no spritesheets, per-object spritesheets, or large global spritesheets, so as far as I am aware it makes absolutely no difference at all, which is unsurprising since questions like this are often a waste of time.

So there is practicaly no performance gain when i aim towards a "one or two texture overal graphics" on my mobile game. Currently my enemies for example have their own spritesheets and are not part of a bigger texture. Also my ground tiles are all in separate texture. Did i understood it correctly?
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?