Frame Rate Cap?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Selection frame like in RTS games, works both on mobile and desktop devices.
  • I've been adjusting the frame speed on my animations and previewing them in the animation editor, but at times there seems to be no difference... There's an obvious difference between lower frame rates - like 1 FPS or 10 versus 60 FPS, etc - but when I start going higher than 60 FPS, such as high as 120 or even 720!!, there appears to be no visual change. When I do a full-game preview, again the frame rate seems to be capped at some point.

I'm honestly not sure if this is just my perception failing me or what... Any input would be helpful. Thank you!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think the engine won t update the frames faster than it updates the game itself, which is in most cases about 60 times per seconds

• Take a look at this:

https://www.scirra.com/blog/83/optimisa ... -your-time

Particularly this:

Firstly, the most important performance indicator of a game is its frames per second (FPS) rate. Most modern displays update at 60 Hz, so the target of the game is to run at 60 FPS, so each time the display updates there is a new frame of the game to show. If the game runs faster than 60 FPS, there is no visual improvement! It will simply be drawing a new frame, then replacing it with a newly drawn frame before the display has had the chance to actually show it. So 60 FPS is as fast as it needs to go. That's also why many browsers don't go faster and cap the framerate at 60. Is your game already running at 60 FPS on your target machine? If so, you have nothing to gain by optimising. Nothing whatsoever. It's a waste of time. Why not spend some time improving your gameplay instead?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)