Framerate drops by 90% when using big text object

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:12 am

Problem Description
I'm not entirely sure this is a problem with Construct or if it's CocoonJS who's at fault.
When I preview a project in the CocoonJS App on iOS, the size of the text object affects the performance of the game.
Basically, if I update a text object every tick based on an incrementing variable, and the text object is fairly small, I get 60 FPS on iPad 4. On the same device, if I make the text box bigger, the framerate drops to 4.

Only occurs in Canvas/WebGL mode (in CocoonJS I mean) on iOS. Doesn't occurs in webview mode. I haven't tried other devices since I only own an iPad 4.

I'm using CocoonJS v2.0.0.

Attach a Capx
Attached to this post.

Description of Capx
Increment a variable by 1 every tick, and display it in a text object.

Steps to Reproduce Bug
  • Launch the attached capx in Ludei's CocoonJS Laucher app on iOS, using Canvas/WebGL mode
  • Notice the framerate is 60 on iPad 4
  • In Construct, make the text object bigger. About 2-3 time wider and taller should be enough.
  • Launch in CocoonJS again
  • Notice the framerate is now between 4 and 6 on iPad 4.

Observed Result
Framerate is really low

Expected Result
Framerate should be consistant.

Affected Browsers
  • CocoonJS Launcher app on iOS in WebGL/Canvas mode. (The webview mode is not affected)
    (browsers on computer don't look like they are affected)

Operating System and Service Pack
Windows 7, latest version.

Construct 2 Version ID
r173, 64-bits
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Closing as won't fix, this is basically the same issue as https://www.scirra.com/forum/text-object-drops-the-performance-on-mobile-significant_t108633 and the conclusion is the same. Although I'd add in this case you change the text contents every tick, forcing a GPU upload of a new texture every tick. If you have to change text every frame, prefer a sprite font.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Return to Closed bugs