Frankly, Whats the point of c3?

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Bleenx wrote:
stefanos wrote:Random idea ( U know what would be awesome ?, Scirra to make a unity plugin with their visual approach charging 150 per year. No problem there. I would happily depend on unity's devs faults rather than ludei, intel etc..)[/size][/i]

Random idea, my butt :) I already stated this idea in another C3 thread.

lol Maybe I saw it there I'm not sure, either way it's not going to happen, lets hope C3 or GameFlow unity's plugin gets even better
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:40 pm

stefanos wrote:
Bleenx wrote:
stefanos wrote:Random idea ( U know what would be awesome ?, Scirra to make a unity plugin with their visual approach charging 150 per year. No problem there. I would happily depend on unity's devs faults rather than ludei, intel etc..)[/size][/i]

Random idea, my butt :) I already stated this idea in another C3 thread.

lol Maybe I saw it there I'm not sure, either way it's not going to happen, lets hope C3 or GameFlow unity's plugin gets even better

Haha no worries. I was only messing with you. And yeah, I agree.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:16 pm

I hear you, @ruskul. I spent a couple of months porting a full version of box 2d web to c2. It's actually 90% complete and includes a built-in platform behavior.... just so I could have collision filtering. But the limited export options were always nagging away at the back of my mind. So I started on this new project a couple of weeks ago:

I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:08 pm

I read the blog this afternoon about the "sprite and animations" editor in C3 and got very excited about it. We cannot deny the fact that there are many improvements over C2.

Using Construct 3 in a browser alone will be a true bargain for me. Nothing to install and you can work at every computer with internet.

I am sure over the next months, there will come a lot of new exciting announcements from Scirra. Can't wait!!!
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:40 pm

As it stands now, with the information available to us, I think the main point of C3 is a complete rewrite (yet again) to accommodate a browser-based application, rather than one that is coded to work directly on an OS level.

I understand why the devs are doing this: re-routing multi-platform support to a browser (Chrome) that already exists for all major operating systems, including mobile, is one reason (less work for devs). Secondly, the devs can develop with web tech, rather than C++, or whatever was used to develop Construct 1 and 2. Thirdly, having the editor run in Chrome allows them to implement live editing - for example, particle systems are editable live. Fourthly, it allows them to run Construct 3 as a service. Fifth, new functionality can probably be implemented faster for the devs this way.

Point 2 is a personal decision, and has nothing to do with the users.

Points 1 and 3 are useful to have, but many other game editors already support these things (well, no mobile editing on Android or iOS, of course). Personally I do not see the point of mobile touch screen only editing on small screens except for simple examples/prototypes, and the "coolness" factor.

Point 3 is already catered for in most other game engines worth their salt. Take Godot or Unity, for example: particle systems can be edited live, as is the case with many other things. Of course, when the output is web-only (Construct) it makes sense to switch to a browser-based editing environment for live editing: they both share the same foundation, which makes it simpler and more efficient for the devs to support and implement.

From my point of view, the majority of the benefits of C3 are initially aimed towards the developers themselves, with a secondary concern for the users. I am sure the devs feel quite differently about this. Certainly the benefits will trickle down more and more towards the users, and it is more convenient for the devs to roll out new features.

One issue, however, is performance in a browser. I have worked with browser-based applications, and compared to their desktop equivalents they always lose out in performance. A browser is yet another shell between the OS and the application, and it does have an impact. (for example, compare Gravit with desktop based illustration tools - way slower!)

I am sure the devs will add more features as time goes by - they should be able to roll out new functionality faster now that both the editor and the output share the same foundation.

But I am out. The rental model is unacceptable to me, and after a bit more pondering, I have come to the conclusion that it is a bad idea to rely on a specific browser (Chrome) as a foundation to build a game editor environment. If it would work cross-browser, I'd be more lenient perhaps.

Other issues for me are the lack of native export, no animation timeline, and other things such as the awkward handling of functions, no built-in translation support, and inconvenient control/input handling. Versioning and large project management are problematic as well.

Now that I am starting a fairly large game project I had to rethink my approach, and Construct 2 would not have been my choice anyway. With how the new Construct 3 is planned, I am convinced I would never even have considered C3. I think it is more aimed at small projects and not really meant to be used for semi-large scope projects. My opinion and expecation - but I can only know for sure when it becomes available.

Having said all this, I still find Construct 2 to be quite helpful for prototyping ideas quickly, or try out a quick movement setup. Perhaps that ought to be the aim of C3: the best prototyper in town ;)
Win7 64- i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Bad Wolf wrote:I read the blog this afternoon about the "sprite and animations" editor in C3 and got very excited about it. We cannot deny the fact that there are many improvements over C2.

Using Construct 3 in a browser alone will be a true bargain for me. Nothing to install and you can work at every computer with internet.

I am sure over the next months, there will come a lot of new exciting announcements from Scirra. Can't wait!!!

The "new" animation editor is nice and all, but I would never use a built-in graphics editor that is as limited as the one on show. As a matter of fact, I have never used the built-in graphics editor of Construct before, except for things like collision shapes, origins and animation frames. Why re-invent the wheel when there exists multitudes of far better image editors for free or a small fee?

I think putting effort in an actual animation timeline that supports animating all properties as well as firing functions/actions would be of far greater use to all C3 users.

I fail to see the point of this. The devs stated they will rely on products like Spriter for cut-out animation support, but feel it is a good idea to build their own built-in image editor? I do not understand the logic.

Oh wait, I suppose when editing in Android or iOS it would make sense. But much better pixel art editors are available for those platform as well.
Win7 64- i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Rayek wrote:
Bad Wolf wrote:I read the blog this afternoon about the "sprite and animations" editor in C3 and got very excited about it. We cannot deny the fact that there are many improvements over C2.

The "new" animation editor is nice and all, but I would never use a built-in graphics editor that is as limited as the one on show. As a matter of fact, I have never used the built-in graphics editor of Construct before, except for things like collision shapes, origins and animation frames.

I'd like to add that manipulating C2-related data is my primary reason for the using the editor; indeed, things like, collision shapes, and image points, things that can't be done otherwise (except through caproj editing). Unfortunately, there are workflow issues with C2 in regards to applying functions over a number of frames. For example, I'd like to 'Guess collision shape' over the whole animation sequence. Or perhaps I'd like to set a particular image point based on a unique pixel value based of another sequence, or perhaps through an ascii file. I don't believe there is a way to do this currently.

But from my pov, if C3 doesn't do specific things out-of-the-box, it's really ok with me. But my big question, the one I've been anticipating since I was aware of C3 is this 'editor SDK'. So far, the only hint to an 'SDK' (or 'SDK' like idea) is being able to change CSS to theme C3. But my expectation of an 'editor SDK' is certainly much higher, and will allow hooks into editor functions. If this were the case, as I hope it would be, then it opens up the editor to so much potential functionality that the current featured capabilities being written about will pale in comparison.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 pm

For what it's worth, I think that if Ashley had shared with the community the process of deciding to go with the route he did while he was figuring things out, opinions would be more optimistic.
At least a little blog post here or there would have been nice.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:58 pm

@newt True. It's like he looked at all that feature ideas made by users over the past years and decide to go in the opposite way.
Seriously, "new ellipse drawing tool" one of the most important new options added to the editor that needs mentioning in the blog... And not a single word about editing animations, image points or collision polys. All, theoretically simplest things to do are most complicated or even impossible to do in C2 and probably C3 - you can't copy a collision poly from one frame to few selected different ones. You have to redraw them all one by one.

And like always when we talk about image editor... I just leave it here: Things about Image editor still valid... After all those years, damn.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:21 pm

ruskul wrote:Whats the point of c3?

Trying to stay in business seems to be about the top and tail of it, from what I can tell.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion