FREE License Questions

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Hi, everybody!

I'm really really new in C2. I'm taking part in a Blackberry competition for HTML5, and I have a little question for you, guys.

As far as I know, Blackberry doesn't mind if I use game engines, but what I want to know is if there are any kind of restrictions about C2 FREE license. In this competition, there's a 10,000 dollars prize and I need to know if I can build my game with C2 without any problems if I win or I have to pay any kind of tax.

Thanks for your time.

• If you win, just purchase the complete edition, and no restrictions be with you!

• scirra.com/store

The above link give you all details about the three C2 editions Free/Standard/Business.

In your case the "Standard" edition seems to be the best for your objective ... but if you win the 10000$ prize you will have go by the Business edition because the Standard edition is limited by 5000$ money earn using C2.

Why not using the free edition ? ... free edition is a no commercial version so i don't hnow if you can participate to such a competition using it ... but in fact there is too much limits in free edition to create a real powerful html5 project (4 layers and 100 events limits ... and so on) so choose the standard edition this is the best for you and you will have no limits !

If you win the 10000$ prize don't forget to speak about us (the cool C2 community !) ;-p

• Feel free to participate in the competition with the free edition, but if you win we require that you purchase a license.

You may run into limitations with the free edition such as the event limit, so you may decide buying a standard edition is a good idea!

Good luck with the competition anyway, let us know how it goes!

• Tom perhaps another thing to make the choice it seems that the free edition have no export feature toward cocoonjs like the standard/business edition so (and even if this feature is still beta) it could be great to add this "details" in http:/www.scirra.com/store ;-p

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I really appreciate your answers, guys.

This might be a noob question, and if it is, I'm sorry: how limited is the free version?

My game idea is a kind-of TD with traps which are already positioned in the beginning of the game and the only thing the player has to do is to active the traps.

So, there are two things that make me worried: that 100 events issue doesnt refer to the number of events that can be actioned during the game, right? I mean, if my game just have 1 event, it can be actioned as many times as my player wants, right? Or it refers that my player can only activate it 100 times?

That was my first question and I am quite sure it was a "facepalm" question, but I need to ask if I want to learn...

My second question is about the layers. Can you give me a brief explanation about it, please? Yesterday I started the beginner tutorial but right now I am in the middle of my school class, here in Peru, so sorry for my english.

Thats all, my friends. I am very grateful to all of you, this is a very nice community.

• this seems a bit off to me... If he wins the 10k prize thats cause his entry was the best it doesnt matter what he made it with so why should he have to buy a c2 licenses if he wins just cause he used c2 to make his entry?

He didnt make 10k by SELLING things made with c2 which is whats implied by the business licenses right?

• This competition requires me to upload our apps to the Blackberry AppWorld, but I won't put any price on it, I'll give it for free, so I don't know if I have to purchase the Standard or the Business License. Any help?

• Construct 2 edition system is a deal ... if you get enough money using C2 to give a part of this money to Scirra ... you have do to so ... buying the proper edition.

Choose first C2 "Free" edition if you want to learn C2 and how to do games using C2. No regrets here it's free ;-p ... ok this edition have some limits ... events !? layers !? ... you don't understand what we are speaking about ? .... if so, this edition is for you !

Choose then C2 "Standard" edition if you don't want to have any limits using C2 so create big and powerful html5 games without loosing time !. Consider also buying this edition if you get little money with your games to support Scirra team (->5000$)

In any case if you make many money (5000$+) from your C2 creations support more Scirra and buy the "Business" edition. This version is not more powerful than the "Standard" one ... is just a way to give more money to scirra because you earn more money with C2!

• this seems a bit off to me... If he wins the 10k prize thats cause his entry was the best it doesnt matter what he made it with so why should he have to buy a c2 licenses if he wins just cause he used c2 to make his entry?

He didnt make 10k by SELLING things made with c2 which is whats implied by the business licenses right?

We had a couple of people email us and ask this question specifically.

We could either say "no you can't use it to enter competitions" or "yes you can". We felt that if you win a competition with the free edition agreeing to buy a license if you do win anything is a good compromise.

• > this seems a bit off to me... If he wins the 10k prize thats cause his entry was the best it doesnt matter what he made it with so why should he have to buy a c2 licenses if he wins just cause he used c2 to make his entry?

>

> He didnt make 10k by SELLING things made with c2 which is whats implied by the business licenses right?

We had a couple of people email us and ask this question specifically.

We could either say "no you can't use it to enter competitions" or "yes you can". We felt that if you win a competition with the free edition agreeing to buy a license if you do win anything is a good compromise.

Something I'm frequently wondering about is if I need to purchase the standard license if I want to publish my games in, for example, the chrome store, BUT WITHOUT ANY PRICE ON IT, ONLY FREE.

• clzgerman - you are allowed to use the free edition for non-commercial use, so you are allowed to publish free apps.

• Love you, guys. Thanks for your help.

Besides the C2 TOC it would just be good form to buy the license since you would not have won without it.

It just makes sense.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)