Free trial for Construct 3

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:25 pm

@Elliot

It's always hard to sell a master class or course if the software is paid. Right now I am at a cross roads. I really want to make C3 tutorials and use that engine exclusively for 2D. However, because Unity will allow students to freely download their software, it makes more business sense to use that as students don't have to pay.

Again, from a business point of view, the free trial means that I and other people can evangelize the product and ultimately lead to more sales for Scirra. I constantly say that "C2 is my favorite engine" and "I am blown away at how awesome C2 is".

Ultimately, this is a win win win situation.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:37 pm

A referral program might also be called a win win scenario.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Both @Elliott and @newt are suggesting good ideas. But having a trial software that students would have to buy either way after the course and the trial period ended will really boost your numbers?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:41 pm

glerikud wrote:But having a trial software that students would have to buy either way after the course and the trial period ended will really boost your numbers?

It absolutely will boost sales.

I would be alright with giving my students a limited free trial and at the end I could get an affiliate commission. It would be easier to just give a limited fully featured trial with no export.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:30 am

If you can't make a game in under 250 events I think you need to evaluate your events and learn to optimize your games.

Hell I have written over a hundred games and I don't think any of them came close to 200 events and most are under a hundred events.

I have full complete games with less that 30 events!
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:48 am

Yeah, there are a few games you can make with less than 250 events.

But there are also a lot of games that take more.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:58 pm

The real thing is we just don't know the limitations of the free c3... I bought c2 because of the event limitations. But I would not subscribe $ 99 a year for that. My current serious prototype is about 700 events and I will just switch to unity...
B

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:07 pm

It's really sad. I actually like the fast paced event type "programming" of construct. But: It's no problem for me to program in c# - im just lazy. But as things come down I will have to switch to a more reliable engine. Plus: you have to train your coding skills which will help you to sustain in the REAL business....
B

Post » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:59 am

I'm a teacher by trade, and I've never had a problem with students going over the 100-event limit in the free version of Construct 2. 100 events is definitely enough to make something fun and playable In the limited amount of time we spend using the software (approximately 1 week of class time).

The big draw of using Construct 2 is that I can tell my kids that they can go home and fiddle around with it for free as much as the like. If they ever want to do a larger project, they have to pay. Unlimited events is pretty much a useless feature for most of my students, and paying to spend a few hours tinkering is an absolute no-go for them. In the end, I can get kids interested precisely because there is no looming payment hanging over their (read: their parents') head. I can only imagine the angry phone calls I would get if I told parents that they have to pay to do an activity in my class...
www.simbucket.com - HTML5 Science Simulations / https://www.airconsole.com/#!play=com.n ... obotrumble - Robot Rumble on AirConsole
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:46 pm

cjbruce wrote:I'm a teacher by trade, and I've never had a problem with students going over the 100-event limit in the free version of Construct 2. 100 events is definitely enough to make something fun and playable In the limited amount of time we spend using the software (approximately 1 week of class time).

The big draw of using Construct 2 is that I can tell my kids that they can go home and fiddle around with it for free as much as the like. If they ever want to do a larger project, they have to pay. Unlimited events is pretty much a useless feature for most of my students, and paying to spend a few hours tinkering is an absolute no-go for them. In the end, I can get kids interested precisely because there is no looming payment hanging over their (read: their parents') head. I can only imagine the angry phone calls I would get if I told parents that they have to pay to do an activity in my class...

Good point and I think teaching people (kids) to use limited events makes their coding a lot less sloppy and they have to use logic to use events in a way that gets the most out of them instead of using a hundred events to just check sprites and do non essential tasks.
Banned User
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion