From MMF to Construct

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:30 am

I'm an old-school mmf user. I've been using click-products since klik & play, made hundreds of huge and small projects and even finished a couple, but today I felt like I need a change mainly because I'd like to create physics, bones etc. easier, so I downloaded construct classic to test it out.

I'd like to hear your opinions about the subject. Pros and cons regarding construct classic compared to mmf2. This far (after about hour of fiddling around CC) I haven't come up with anything I couldn't make in costruct that I can make in mmf2, except it's easier + theres the bumpmaps and physics and whatnot. Vilsu2013-07-24 03:31:16
B

Post » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:03 am

I'm currently porting Lodge Massacre which is created with MMF2 to C2.

I will let you know about pros and cons.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:13 am

One thing to be aware of, if you are talking about CC (Construct Classic) it does not port to App stores or HTML5. CC is directX games saved as .exe.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:32 am

[QUOTE=Joannesalfa] I'm currently porting Lodge Massacre which is created with MMF2 to C2.

I will let you know about pros and cons. [/QUOTE]

I would really appreciate that! Thanks!

[QUOTE=BluePhaze] One thing to be aware of, if you are talking about CC (Construct Classic) it does not port to App stores or HTML5. CC is directX games saved as .exe. [/QUOTE]

That actually doesn't matter that much as I only create pc games, so it's actually a pro. But I think I'll move to C2 anyways after I get familiar with CC (:
B

Post » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Classic has loads of problems, and has also been officially retired. You shouldn't start using it now, just move straight on to C2, which can also export PC games to Windows, Mac and Linux (which is more than Classic can do!)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:28 pm

There's been a lot of comparisions in the past, look them up for more details.

TLDR: MMF2 is like Windows 95, Construct 2 is like Windows 7. Improved in every way.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:54 pm

So far only thing that I can think off is gamepad support. But that should change over time whit broaden support.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:47 am

[QUOTE=alspal] There's been a lot of comparisions in the past, look them up for more details.

TLDR: MMF2 is like Windows 95, Construct 2 is like Windows 7. Improved in every way.[/QUOTE]
I actually red all the comparisons I could find, but none of them actually pointed out the differences.

While playing around with CC today, I came up with two questions. First of all, am I missing something or isn't is possible to use software rendering on CC or C2? As I said, I'm kinda old-school and without software rendering the games won't run as smooth (or at all) on older computers, laptops or anything with a weak graphics card, which is a big no-no for me.

Another thing is that there is no network/online plugin, which is kinda a big deal to me also. I did find some network plugin for CC, but it seems a bit low on functions. Of course I have no idea if there is such a plugin for C2?Vilsu2013-07-25 02:04:11
B

Post » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:56 am

First of all - don't use CC. It's outdated, buggy, and generally inferior.

C2 will revert back to canvas2D if webGL isn't supported, which does use software rendering. However, I believe you may have been misinformed about software rendering (At least in HTML5) as (I think) even when a computer has a weak graphics card, hardware rendering will always help, unless a graphics driver issue stops it.

Yeah, unfortunately C2 doesn't have much in terms of multiplayer ATM, however there are definitely some third party plugins you could check out.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:36 am

@Vilsu - CC has no software rendering.

@sqiddster - canvas2d is still hardware accelerated, it's just not as fast as webgl is and doesn't have shaders. Software rendering is only used if the graphics card has been blacklisted, and then it doesn't use canvas2d, it emulates webgl in software via swiftshader.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic