Frustration with game making! Grr!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:07 am

I have been playing with construct 2 now for weeks. Starting with the free version and decided to buy the full version to support the developers of this software. I don't regret my purchase but this has to be the most frustrating area (game development) I have ever ventured into. :x

I have spent hours and hours trying to develop games over the past few weeks and not managed to finish a single one of them. Today (Sunday) I have spent 3 hours working on a game only to find I can't finish it due to a lack of knowledge, lack of artistic ability and not sure if construct can handle the functions I need it too leaving me with yet another bodged game. I really would like to release something to the public that's of my own creation instead of a copy / paste job of someone else’s work or idea.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who finds game development hard, anyone else find this frustrating?

I just had to vent my anger and frustration somewhere
:mrgreen:
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:55 am

You've only just begun to learn it. C2 can do many things, even the most complex games.. just browse the in development forum and see the wonderous creations of others.

C2 is deceptively simple, making it easy to learn but hard to master. Keep at it and use the forum for help if you cannot implement your ideas.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:56 am

Hah been there and done that ^^
I too am horrible at getting my ideas realised. While i can do some art and have some knowledge in Construct 2, I tend to put too much work on one thing and when I just can't seem to accept the current behaviour of that thing, then I either trash my project or put it on hold... which i have done several times already ._.

I study game design, prototyping and development and i'm quite good at it theoretically but when i venture into my own projects, alone and frustrated, it just doesn't seem to work :?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:03 pm

Silverforce wrote:You've only just begun to learn it. C2 can do many things, even the most complex games.. just browse the in development forum and see the wonderous creations of others.

C2 is deceptively simple, making it easy to learn but hard to master. Keep at it and use the forum for help if you cannot implement your ideas.

I do find the forum useful. But there are thing's I just don't see construct being able to handle.

The game idea I am working on allows players to spawn units that move to the right while enemy AI moves to the left. When they collide they start to battle, but construct 2 doesn't seem to support any method of registering damage if there are multiple units overlapping one another as the collision and overlap functions become redundant. This does feel like a very big limitation :|
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:07 pm

I also find it frustrating (if you are planning to sell it to mobile publisher, it can be even worse sometimes.)
However, if it is a lack of knowlegde, you can ask, nobody knows everything, it is why lots and lots of people says "you cannot make a game all by yourself".

On desktop, C2 mostly handle all kinds of 2D pretty well, with some adjustements in some cases, as for art... I cann8t draw anything pretty so I understand your frustration ^^"'
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:24 pm

solado wrote:
Silverforce wrote:You've only just begun to learn it. C2 can do many things, even the most complex games.. just browse the in development forum and see the wonderous creations of others.

I do find the forum useful. But there are thing's I just don't see construct being able to handle.

The game idea I am working on allows players to spawn units that move to the right while enemy AI moves to the left. When they collide they start to battle, but construct 2 doesn't seem to support any method of registering damage if there are multiple units overlapping one another as the collision and overlap functions become redundant. This does feel like a very big limitation :|

What you described is easily achieved by just collision check without using overlap check. On collision play an attack animation, minus health variables, bounce back wards a bit (only need a few pixels so the collision check can happen again fast) before moving forward again. You can have heaps of enemies and allied units meleeing it out like that and it will register damage for each units that collide, every time.

If you dont want them to bounce and just stay there, then spawn hidden collision sprite during an attack animation, and do the damage upon that sprite colliding with an enemy unit instead. And if you want even more filtering, enemies can only damage other units on the same layer, so add in a layer check for the colliding sprites. So you could have 10 layers and a whole bunch of units melee each other and they will only damage the enemy they hit on their layer.

C2 is very powerful, just think outside the box and most things are possible.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:53 pm

All the limitations newcomers see are mostly limitations of their knowledge, C2 doesn't solve every problem, it gives you the tools, but you gotta your hands dirty,

I suggest having a look at the tutorials section and the templates that come with C2, try to understand code you don't, that's how most of us learnt
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Silverforce wrote:
solado wrote:

What you described is easily achieved by just collision check without using overlap check. On collision play an attack animation, minus health variables, bounce back wards a bit (only need a few pixels so the collision check can happen again fast) before moving forward again. You can have heaps of enemies and allied units meleeing it out like that and it will register damage for each units that collide, every time.

If you dont want them to bounce and just stay there, then spawn hidden collision sprite during an attack animation, and do the damage upon that sprite colliding with an enemy unit instead. And if you want even more filtering, enemies can only damage other units on the same layer, so add in a layer check for the colliding sprites. So you could have 10 layers and a whole bunch of units melee each other and they will only damage the enemy they hit on their layer.

C2 is very powerful, just think outside the box and most things are possible.

I tried both methods by doing a "push back *random*" but it doesn't work as when they collide they hop around but doesn't seem to do damage. I'm not too sure why, the units on one side will stack up 4+ and then just wont do damage even though they get pushed back... it's odd.

The layer one didn't work either as some of the units just walked past each other as they were on different layers... :?
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:11 pm

solado wrote:I'm sure I can't be the only one who finds game development hard, anyone else find this frustrating?

Not just you - I think it's probably pretty common for game development to be frustrating at times. I'm currently frustrated with my rpg, Shards - it's turning out to be incredibly hard to design how it should play. I'm on my third prototype of the thing because each one has had some sort of significant design flaw - for example, the first one had a strategy that turned out to be a such an overwhelming advantage that there was no reason not to use it - which the ai could also use - which would result in the 'samurai standoff problem' with neither player actually doing anything because the player who went first had a disadvantage. Fixing that problem has been crazy difficult.

As for the problem with your events, if you post an example, I'm sure people can help you out with it. C2 can certainly do what you're describing.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Arima wrote:
solado wrote:I'm sure I can't be the only one who finds game development hard, anyone else find this frustrating?

Not just you - I think it's probably pretty common for game development to be frustrating at times. I'm currently frustrated with my rpg, Shards - it's turning out to be incredibly hard to design how it should play. I'm on my third prototype of the thing because each one has had some sort of significant design flaw - for example, the first one had a strategy that turned out to be a such an overwhelming advantage that there was no reason not to use it - which the ai could also use - which would result in the 'samurai standoff problem' with neither player actually doing anything because the player who went first had a disadvantage. Fixing that problem has been crazy difficult.

As for the problem with your events, if you post an example, I'm sure people can help you out with it. C2 can certainly do what you're describing.

Yea this is what I find into a games development. For a really simple game I can see how construct 2 would be the best choice like a flappy bird design, pong or the likes. But for more complicated things I just feel like I am in a box and I can't seem to get out of it.

This is the save file for the project.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/sq3wkh
B
S

Next

Return to Construct 2 General