Funny bug that can occur when making large project watch out

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Tue May 24, 2016 1:42 pm

99Instances2Go wrote:I had that issue, under the circumstances as discribed.

*** i rest my case ***

Cool so I guess that makes both of us crazy according to the moderator. All of a sudden we became idiots and starting butchering our own code.
Check out my awesome Android Game releases https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... ames&hl=en
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Well you still haven't given any proof. How else would you expect them to reply?
You started with a somewhat inflammatory title to begin with I might add.
They rely heavily on the forum to promote the software, so obviously they will rigorously give out smacks to anyone making unproven claims.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 24, 2016 4:44 pm

newt wrote:Well you still haven't given any proof. How else would you expect them to reply?
You started with a somewhat inflammatory title to begin with I might add.
They rely heavily on the forum to promote the software, so obviously they will rigorously give out smacks to anyone making unproven claims.

I can tell you didn't even read what I wrote and just jumped in, just like the moderator did. So thats basically the problem.
Check out my awesome Android Game releases https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... ames&hl=en
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm

Did you understand mine?
Make a freaking repeatable example project and post it.
Don't make claims you think are tips in the how do I section.
Make bug reports in the bug reports.
That's how this works.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 24, 2016 5:13 pm

PixelPower wrote:@Kyatric

1) Press button to save project 2) My variable was GameSave and the moment I pressed the button it changed to the Health variable. I was looking at it with my own eyes.

Why would you automatically assume this is a C2 engine error and not an events error? Have you cut down your project and debugged it to try and see if it could be a problem with your logic somewhere?
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 24, 2016 5:37 pm

You're saying the save action sometimes changes the value of a global variable? The thing is logically that's not possible since the save action shouldn't modify anything, and if it did it should be reliably happening. But that's just based on my experience.

Let's take a step back though. The two possibilities is the issue is either with C2 or with your events.
You can absolutely check if C2 is to blame by setting some text with that variable right after like this:

set text to globalvar
save
set text to self.text&" "&globalvar

If the two values ever differ then C2 is to blame and I'd hope a bug report could be made so Scirra could fix it.

If they're always the same then the issue is elsewhere in your logic. This would be a case where it would be nice if the debugger let you step through events more. Regardless you can also do text debugging like above, the browser log action is also useful instead of just text objects. Basically find all the places that set that variable in the event sheet and log it. Then when you run your game and you see the variable change you can pause and look in the log. You can even save the event number in the log text like so to know what event is changing it.

browser log "event 10: set global to "&globalvar

Anyways that's just some ideas into hunting down the cause.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 24, 2016 7:11 pm

Well yeah, that is the point that had to be made, and i tried. Hunting down the cause. What is mentioned here i not a little small issue. It is very much disturbing, well, scary even. I tried to take that parcour. I need reassurance. Or be able to wave it away as a breeze in the morning. So far, nothing in here helps me to decide.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 24, 2016 9:38 pm

As long as no one posts code that shows the issue in a consistent manner and investigates this code, this topic still makes no sense.
@PixelPower you can feel bullied by that simple statement, but it is common sense.

If you encounter an issue POST YOUR PROJECT !
That's the best way to get help from others to debug the project, since you don't seem to be willing to do it yourself.

Making vague descriptions ("I click my save button" => What is the code behind your save button ? How many variable are there in your project ? What exactly are you saving ? At what moment ? Are there interacting events that may change values at that moment ? etc...) does not help anyone, and making statements that "this is a bug in Construct 2" is just unjustified. In 99.9 % of the cases, it is a user error, meaning an error in the code/events the user produced.
Construct is just executing those events as it should and the user is stunned because he thought something would happen, and actually something else happens.
Yet, this is not a Construct 2 bug.

Other people than myself stated the same thing in different manners in that topic. But yes, I must be bullying.

And you were the one who "pinged" me in a different topic, about a different issue which can lead to believe I have said things I haven't.
So who bullied who here ?
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 24, 2016 10:01 pm

I don't understand what you are experiencing. I am trying, but your explaination is not very clear.

It seems another user, @99Instances2Go can reproduce it. What did you do to do so, do you have the capx?
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 25, 2016 4:50 am

@Kyatric is being funny at this point I already told him that the project couldn't be posted because it was a game I was working on and just released a day ago on android. . So I would be dumb to release the capx file for someone to steal my work.
Let me lay the steps again .
1) I go to save my project in Construct 2 by clicking the save button located in the top left corner its a file symbol.
2) After I press the save project button, the global variable GameSave changes in the event sheet on its own to another global variable.
Thats it is very simple. I see the moderators have no problem trying to make users seem stupid.
</br>
This is the 1st time I posted about a bug after being on Construct2 for a year and somehow Kyatric thinks Iam some idiot just stating non-sense. The fact is you jumped in trying to make someone look stupid and now you don't even know what to say. 1st you say you understand but what Iam saying is impossible. Now you say you don't understand what I said. Which one is it?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?