While a lot of the main engine was already working , I've made some major changes which include:
- A new, modular skin system for easier suit customization (head, body, and legs are now all separate pieces)
- A working Metroidvania style screen transition system (custom made)
- Brand new weapons system - some-what inspired visually by Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Exploration things like climbing ledges
- Working on a drone system (shown below) - obviously this won't be something available from the get-go
Some of you all might remember from a previous thread, I wasn't interested in making a fullscale metroidvania type game. But as I worked on more and more levels, and saw myself wanting to make larger and larger levels with depth and story, I felt like this was the best way to scratch that itch. I will still use the old level select system for side missions. But this will be the main scope of the game.
For reference, some older threads can be found here:
metroid-inspired-project_t119359 older. like a year. dang homies.
Screen / Layout Transitions
(minimap needs to be reworked, since previously it automapped everything within 1 singular layout)
Example of weapons system
Drone exploration system test, with 8bit darkness goodness
(I know, this probably breaks some 8bit rules. But nobody knows what 8bit is these days anyways)
12/17/2015 Update - Some Combat and New Suit Design Footage
12/22/2015 Update - simple boss behavior and event flag setting.
some update date - new graphics, new area, updated boss behavior
12/30/2015 Update A functioning metroidvania style map and minimap, and some new HUD features, testing out some new body armor, etc.
Building out a bit more of the scifi atmosphere - here we see a new landing pad and some antennae
1/13/2015 some new boss AI and graphics
2/18/2016 working on another boss, this time utilizing Spriter for both the boss as well as the main character
Thanks for checking this out. I'd love to post more updates here as things continue to move forward!