Game Design and Art tutorials - Kickstarter funded!

For educators around the world who use Construct 2 in classrooms

Post » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:17 am

Hey there! I'm Nathan, a professional game designer. I release free video tutorials every week on Youtube. The channel is dedicated to game art and game design.
You can find all of the tutorials, arranged in categories, right there: Game Design Tutorials!

News: The Kickstarter is over! And it was 240% funded. I'm working on a new website, Game Art Quest, where you'll find all of the open source assets, tutorials and premium training I'm making as part of this project.

We have a game art study group on Facebook!

Don't hesitate to leave feedback or ask me questions here. Thanks!
Last edited by Valerien on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:02 am, edited 48 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Tutorials are always a welcome addition. Things I see alot and also would like to see some good tutorials on is:
multiplayer
AI

Thanks for making this community a better place!
Founder of HeroicTek
HeroicTek.com
Owner of HeroicDomains
HeroicDomains.com
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi @beardedeagle, and thanks first of all. AI is a thing I'm just starting with myself. Thus, although I'd love to write on that, it not among the first things I'll tackle, unless I find something quite useful to share.

Cheers,
Nathan
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:22 am

A quick update: I added a list of upcoming tutorials. I'll be releasing a tutorial every Tuesday until the end of the summer. I'll try to keep these resources general, and of an intermediate to advanced level. I'm working on introductory matierial on AI as well for the month of August.

Upcoming tutorials:
- 22/07 : 4 valuable lessons learned from Dan The Rabbit
- 25/07 : (quick tip) How to do advanced callbacks with multiple parameters
- 29/07: 3 techniques to manage complex UI in construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:08 am

Very helpful, thanks Valerien.

I agree with @beardedeagle, a multiplayer tutorial would be awesome!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:09 pm

@awmace5 : although a multiplayer tutorial would certainly be appreciated, I believe that a good mastery of c2's concepts and optimization is required first. Multiplayer is very technical, and puts heavy constraints on one's code and design. There are also 4 detailed multiplayer tutorialsalready written in by Ashley. He has covered the essential networking concepts to grasp to build more complex games and apps. Network is finally something I have very little knowledge of: as a designer, I have only worked on single player games. I wouldn't want to share so-so or wrong information about technical concepts I don't quite get myself.

So anyway, I'm working something out on AI, project management... compiling a few tricks from fellow professional developers as well. And as always, I'm open for requests :) !

Cheers,
Nathan.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I just added a follow-up tutorial to my article about callbacks. It shows a way to do callbacks (call a function from a function) with multiple parameters.
I also released another kind of tutorial on Tuesday, that's workflow/design-related. Could you please tell me if you like it? As time goes, I'd like to share a bit more about game design, as I am a designer, not a developer. But I'd like to do it in a way that's compelling for you guys. Maybe videos would be more interesting?

Thanks much,
Nathan
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks for the great tutorials. Keep ‘em coming :D
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:44 pm

thanks very interesting. Continue
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks much guys! I'll do my best to provide you with better content as time advances.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Education and Construct 2