Game Design and Art tutorials - Kickstarter funded!

For educators around the world who use Construct 2 in classrooms

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm

Excellent Tutorial, Valerien. Will be very useful to know all these concepts for my project. Thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:00 pm

@FraktalZero : Thank you !

I've just released a new tutorial called "3 techniques to manage complex UI". It's an article for beginners or intermediate users mostly. Thanks to @jayderyu for his suggestion!

Have a nice day lads,
Nathan
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:40 pm

@Valerien : Just read your complex UI tutorial, and while it is functionnal, I think it is possible to open up a little:

The all buttons in one object while it works, can be really misused, not all buttons should be in one I think, but more functionnalities wise, they can be (every button relative to facebook in one object, every button relative to navigating menues could also be like that), so at the end you don't have to navigate as much into buttons (when you want a facebook functionnality, you know automatically which button it is, so you place it and you are good to go in that exemple), and you keep the advantage of not having all of them loading at once (even if this one is minor), it is IMO clearer than having to search every animation the unique object has to offer.

The UI elements as globals can be used, but the other way around (using a function to create it and set it at runtime, a decent use of containers to link the realtive elements between them) not only keeps the issue of the layer indexing at bay, but also helos during testing since you don t have to go into the layout that creates it each time you wanna check something. Also it is less risky since you wont have them present in every layout.

As for the UI layers, this is a tip I cannot agree more with, it is just the easiest way to deal wi a pause screen.

Keep it up, you are good
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:49 pm

@Aphrodite : sure, I agree.
Having all of the buttons in a single object works well if you just have your basic mobile UI, not too many. I generally create the UI at runtime as well actually! If you have a few functions to anchor stuff and place it at an offset from the edges automatically, it feels good. The all buttons in one thing is mostly about reimporting easily for me. It can also make the process of generating UI from JSON or XML at runtime pretty effortless. Each user will have to pick a way depending on his project and project's scope! Anyway, thanks for the comments!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:28 am

@Valerien Thanks for writing these, I especially enjoyed reading your tutorial about callbacks. Keep up the great work!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Thank you @stemkoski ! I'll be sure to keep the flow going ;) !

So, my latest two articles are a bit different from the very specific Construct 2 tutorials that came before them. Today, I released a summary of the "Marketing indie games on a 0$ budget" talk from Emmy Jonassen.
I also had the chance to do a detailed interview of the senior visual storyteller Adam Duff. The second part of it will be out on 08/07 (on Thursday), and will contain many pieces of advice for aspiring artists.

I don't know if I can add this kind of content to the tutorial section, but I thought it would be of interest for a lot of people around here. It also gave me some room to do a bit of research about AI, which will finally come next Tuesday!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:50 am

Hello everyone! I just released the second part of the Interview with the senior concept artist Adam Duff! This one contains insights and advice for aspiring professional artists!

I'm working on a primer article about AI for Tuesday. Anything specific you'd like me to cover over the following weeks? It will mostly be intermediate level material, as construct offers a lot of easy to use tools to base solid AI on (pathfinding, Line of Sight...).
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:15 pm

It might help user to make a callback more easeier. It also could be used to get function call from network through Ajax or web socket.
plugin-rex-fncallpkg_t106856
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:20 am

@rexrainbow : thanks, I checked this out. I try to focus tutorials on the core functionality of Construct at the moment. But as time passes by, I'll most likely be covering a few plugins (and many of yours are really useful). I already plan on showcasing the FSM plugin for the FSM tutorial, as managing enter and exit states in an elegant way isn't trivial with plain events.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Very good. Thank you.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Education and Construct 2