Game Design and Art tutorials - Kickstarter funded!

For educators around the world who use Construct 2 in classrooms

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:04 am

Very nice, I look forward to seeing more.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks @Andeming !

I have a client at the moment, this was sort of unexpected. Thus, I have to delay today's tutorial exceptionally. It's partly written already, but I have (fortunately!) more work than I can handle at the moment!

Sorry for that, it'll be out on next Tuesday.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:34 am

Valerien wrote:but I have (fortunately!) more work than I can handle at the moment!

Congrats! Freelancers dream/Um, nightmare - lol. Great stuff. Catch your tut on Tuesday ;)
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:46 am

@DUTOIT : ;) ! Now I've got to find a way to offer valuable content in less time! Thankfully with AI, I can cover examples in capx and video rather than long, sometimes boring text.

Finally, here's my first tutorial on AI programming... with Finite State Machines (FSMs) ! Those are one of the easiest ways to manage not only your AI, but also many parts of your games. @rexrainbow made a few very useful plugins especially for that: a global FSM and a [urlhttp://c2rexplugins.weebly.com/rex_fsm.html]behavior-based FSM[/url]. There is even a specific plugin for menus!

Anyway, I'll add the tutorial to the repository of Scirra tutorials ASAP. Until then, please tell me if there are specific AI examples you'd like me to cover? I believe that AI is better learned by seeing and tweaking code directly.

Cheers everyone,
Nathan
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:12 am

Hi everyobody,

I just added the FSM tutorial to scirra's tutorial repository.
Please tell me if you'd like me to create specific examples. FSMs are really a generic tool that are super useful (if not required) to make tons of AI types and objects. Anyway, I believe they're easier to learn by example, rather than using plain text.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 pm

New tutorial released - How to AI by example : Platform follower. It shows a way to program an AI that detects obstacles using a captor object.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I just released a new tutorial called Drastically reduce your game's download size with image compression (edited according to Kyatric's pointer).

I hope you'll like it!
Last edited by Valerien on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 pm

New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:48 am

@Kyatric : ah true, I forgot about that one (never used it really, I thought you had to set it up per-image). It does use png quantization as well (well, pretty much every tool uses that compression for png). I'll edit the tutorial today then.

EDIT : I modified the tutorial, added a section at the top that shows how to open and use the image compression dialog in C2. I hope this can still help a few users. Thanks again Kyatric for the pointer. I have gone through a fair amount of pages in the manual, but C2 is a complex piece of software, thus you always stumble upon features on the fly.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:58 am

Hey everyone,

I am back with a new tutorial: 4 productivity tricks with the event editor! In this one, I tried to share some basic techniques that fluidify your C2 programming experience in the long run. Some processes are picked from the manual, like the keyboard shortcuts. Other are just general tips to optimize your coding workflow.

As always, I'm really eager to hear your feedback and requests for new articles!

Next week, I want to release my first free art assets pack: an organized UI set for your mobile games. For the upcoming weeks, I am working on 2 tutorial requests:
1- How to make an Arcade platformer with basic AI (patrol, shoot)
2- How to easily use JSON data in your C2 project (for translations in particular).

Kind regards,
Nathan
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Education and Construct 2