Game Engine - Byte Sized Heroes

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 am

Version 0.6 Updates: Drivable vehicle: Tank! Ladder working, Mountable, enemy, mirroring... Well, turrets working. I'll explain later, or you can play around with it. Jump through platforms, LOG screen lets you select world positions and objects for use with certain functions like ADDACTOR, DELETE, and CLONE which have all been added in.

The project will now use artwork inspired by Inafune's MegaMan ZX artwork, using Spriter for animations. There will be a complete set of animation parts that you can easily modify to create new sprites and animations in the game. This also makes it easy to make the characters easily customizable. I plan to include multiple hair/outfit options to create characters. This will also work for AI, and will be easily controlled in the variables of the object.

What it has so far:
- Custom Platform-like Behaviour Using Physics Behaviour [Identical to Platform Behaviour, adjusted for physics shoot 'em up type gameplay]
+ Wall Climbing
- Simple Civilian AI [Small AI, more to come]
- Dialogue System (Incomplete) [Type dialogue, name, and icon name, the engine does the rest]
- Log System (complete with Alpha 0.2) [perform functions inside the game at command, mainly for testing]
- Online Multiplayer (Incomplete) [Online Shoot 'em up action]
- Guns and Grenades (Incomplete) [first weapons of the game]
- Map Volumes (incomplete) [easily set up for map interactions with the player]
- Vehicles [0.5 update: Helicopter type vehicle now available]
- Waypoints (incomplete)
- Toys (incomplete) [Turrets added with 0.4]
- Filler Sprites (incomplete) (for easy animation)

What it will have:
- Onscreen Multiplayer (started)
- Cinematic System
- Inventory System
- Other Weapons
- Armor Upgrades
- Ingame Map Builder

Here's the engine [0.5]: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dido5dl20t4989s/Project_Alpha_0.zip
Here's the game in the arcade: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/shooting-games/byte-sized-heroes-1240?action=updated
Here my website: HTTPS://KiiraGames.Weebly.com

Keep a weather eye on the updates!
Last edited by KTML5 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:58 am

Version 0.2 out now. Let's hope for 0.3 tomorrow. Continual updates until finished. :)
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:26 am

Version 0.3 brings in vehicles, waypoints, and ladders, with a couple fixes to the engine in different areas.

Waypoints brings the beginnings for the construction of multiplayer game types such as Capture the Flag and King of the Hill.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:24 am

Version 0.4 brings in impulse volumes for grav lifts, turrets, and added in @R0j0hound 's Paster plugin to start constructing split screen multiplayer. Split screen is much easier than I'd expected, which is nice to know.

Decided that with the way the game works, it shouldn't be hard to make a map builder either so that's on the todo list now as well. It will be array based, so I'm hoping to make it so maps can be used for online multiplayer matches as well as local.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:38 am

It's a shame this couldn't be uploaded as a kind of tutorial series, as many new users would find this useful.

Just need @Tom to pull his finger out ;)
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:12 am

zenox98 wrote:It's a shame this couldn't be uploaded as a kind of tutorial series, as many new users would find this useful.

Just need @Tom to pull his finger out ;)

I could probably make some tutorials for it once the Underground Jam is over. :)
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:05 am

While I did not download the zip file, I really did not understand what's this about. Is it a game made in Construct 2? Is it made in something else? The title is quite confusing @[email protected]
Black Bobby The Hole Greenlit with 303 votes.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:34 am

@Je Fawk

It takes seconds to download and look. You would have then seen it is a quite useful engine using C2.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:14 am

Je Fawk wrote:While I did not download the zip file, I really did not understand what's this about. Is it a game made in Construct 2? Is it made in something else? The title is quite confusing @[email protected]

Yupp, @zenox98 has a point. I am sorry about the misleading title though, I'll change it after I finish my first Underground Jam submission. :)
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:41 pm

Update 0.5: Vehicles now working! First vehicle created: Helicopter.

Enter the vehicle with up key, exit with E.

Vehicle collisions with player are now disabled if the vehicle has no passengers, or it's controlled by a team member.

Future vehicle updates will include the ability to splatter other players.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Tools and Resources