Game engine/template sales

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:05 am

Hi, Are there any plans to make a Marketplace area where us newbies can buy ready made base coding for a game?
I just came from the Mac Gamesalad forums where you can buy templates for a few dollars and then just change the graphics, add levels, music etc.
Would be a Godsend and timesaver for people like me!
B
G

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:07 am

Eh. I don't like this idea. For one thing, it's already incredibly easy to set up the basic mechanics for a game in C2 already. And for another, it encourages people to crank out generic, formulaic titles, and just change the sprites and levels slightly every time. I mean that's already a huge problem in the indie world, we don't need to make it any worse.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:51 am

In a sense, C2 all ready provides you with those "base templates" in the form of its plugins and behaviors system.

Want to make a plaformer? Just give the ground Solid behavior, and your player sprite Platform behavior.

I know what you're saying, trust me: "This would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to fiddle around with the code!"
Well, hah hah, that's what we all say, but it's something we have to do if we want to make our own creations unique.

Besides, what I basically do anyhow is I just read up and learn as many of the tutorial and example files as I can and just incorporate that into my projects.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:19 am

I think that this idea is pretty good .. if I want to make a tower defence game .. there is a lot of hard thinking, caluculation, etc I would have to do .. yes, I for my person like to do this .. but there aren't so many people who like to be frustraded by lots of mistakes =/ ..

So he could go on the "Scirra market" and buy the algorithm for the tower calculation .. or he could buy a complete TD game and customise it ..

That would be a nice boost for people to "invent" new things. Maybe we could have "Scirra-Dollar" we buy them per PayPal and 10% of the sold money will go to the two Scirraboys, so we "donate" by buying things we need.

In my opinion, it's a pretty sweet idea.

Cheers
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:05 am

This is again the "make my game button" mentality that I despise.

If you want to make a game, learn how to make it. There are already enough examples about a lot of things in the "How do I" section of the forum.
Monetizing "customizable code" is nothing but encouraging laziness imo.

I'm old school in that aspect that I grew up being taught "if you want to do something, practice, learn and put effort in it".Kyatric2011-10-31 08:06:20
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:22 am

I support this only because I've been wanting to make a number of large tutorials and example files but don't feel like it's worth it. It's taken a long time and a lot of work to learn some of this stuff, so just posting it for others to take and use at no cost doesn't seem fair. That and, well, it seems like a decent way to bring in a few bucks (Scirra too if Spades' idea is considered.)

Then again, yes, some people will probably take all of these 'templates', slap them together, and start an onslaught of crappy copy/paste games. That seems like the only (yet major) drawback to me.

I dunno..it worked for Stencyl..I think..Tokinsom2011-10-31 09:43:34
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:33 am

Naah i dont like the idea..
by using a template of an engine or template is not a part of making games..
then we talk about mods for a game or something like that.
making a 2d game is not hard but of course you need to show some spirit and make your own graphics, thats way more interesting than using a template or an engine.

even if you edit it, its not created by yourself and you cant take the full credits for it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:54 am

Lol* apropos old school...

As I made my first game in 2001 with MMF, people said to me If you want to make a game, learn how to code it it. And they voted my game only bad because it was made with "clicks".

Now it's different in "20011 and Clicking is old school .

Now are templates bad things. But my opinion, I think it is a good resource for Noobs to learn and explore complex game mechanic.

Well, Maybe another people could says,if you don't use your own graphics is a mentality to despise.

btw Gamesalad does this already and sells templates and game content.

A Question ,If not here on scirra , but is it generally allowed to sell templates and graphics (animation sprites) for construct 2?
vidi2011-10-31 08:55:34
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:01 am

[QUOTE=vidi]A Question ,If not here on scirra , but is it generally allowed to sell templates and graphics (animation sprites) for construct 2? [/QUOTE]

You might need a license to do this, but I don't see why not. Especially the graphics, there's no question about that. You make it, you own it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:18 am

This community is by far the most cooperative and caring I've ever seen.
If you need help to create your game, I'm pretty sure you'll get it within minutes. And sometimes even with a .capx you can copy and paste.

Now, if your really want to buy a template game, you should post a topic asking for it. Maybe visit the "your creations" section and contact the game's developer directly!
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General