Game Idea: for C2 or Unity?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:01 pm

There are certain advantages for running a project like this in a 2D environment, with arrays governing the action and the engine simulating 3D and I believe that this is how Fez works.. 2.5D, 2D simulating 3D..

You can fairly easily simulate a 3D environment with 2D objects being represented based on their position in an array. Crudely, off the top of my head, you can have each object represented by a number in the 3D array... say, 1=player, 2=floor... have a series of 2s filling up the x and z of one layer of y.. have a global variable just to store which perspective you're in... if perspective=1, then move all floor-objects to Z,Y. if perspective=2, then move all floor-objects to X,Y... you could have the floor objects move at a speed to show a transition...

And for the algorithm handling player acceleration, you could have a global variable that counts up to 3.. for every .2 second that [movement key] is pressed, add 1 to moveVar. for every .1 second that no movement keys are pressed, subtract 1 from moveVar... For the next part, I'm having a little trouble thinking of how to do this... but you'll want to shift the "1"'s position in the array an amount of spaces in the array = to moveVar... if you have the objects oversized, and the array very big, the plots in the array can be a few pixels big each, so moving 1-3 spots every .05 seconds could be pretty smooth movement....

Anyway, not sure how much of this is coherent or helpful.. But your project is ambitious and I'd love to see it come to fruition.
B
S

Post » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Maybe it's because I'm having some trouble visualizing how this work in Construct 2, but this idea reminds me of a game called Revolver360.
B
S

Post » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:22 pm

[[email protected]]
lennaert - VERY good point about layouts for each view. I hadn't thought about the loading details. I think layers would be best, indeed.

[/QUOTE]

come to think of it, that approach actually lead me to make virtual attempt.

I started with the thing that is now the mini map in the top left.
It was suposed to be a hidden bottom layer to determine x,y coordinate.
But it became multifuntional as I also applied it to be the minimap.
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Your game could basically be similar to ikaruga, gameplay-wise : having two "worlds" between which the player can switch on the fly. 3d space wouldn't required in that regard and you'd keep a somewhat similar gameplay value.

From what I can tell, your idea seems pretty abstract to me at the moment. In order to find the right tool for the job, you should do a small prototype to see if it works and how well it works on a given engine.
Basically, if you need a camera rotation beyond the scope of screen space, you'll need a 3d engine. 2d engines aren't meant to represent 3 space anyway. Also, I'd say that the target platforms and scope of your game will determine which engine you should favor to a large extent.

Good luck,
Nathan
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:49 pm

You can do a smooth transition from side to top in c2 with a formula to rotate a point in 2d.
http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/modeling/mod_tran/2drota.htm

Here's it in action using pre-rendered sprites for the ships.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5426011/examples21/shooter_rot.capxr155
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:25 am

[QUOTE=notnsane] Gameplay wise, the 2D/3D change is going to be by user input or automatic?

Personally I'm thinking about switching from something R-Type like to Space Harrier. No idea why, but it seems cool enough =P[/QUOTE]

The switch between perspectives would be primarily user-input. Though, there's no telling that I wouldn't include moments where it's automatic. But I have no current mind to do that. For now, it's strictly upon user command.
I'm seeking Narnia. Who wants to come with me! Aslan is on the move!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:42 am

@digera - Honestly, I have trouble following C2 explanations in strictly text. But I do see the benefit of using arrays. I'm going to look into that.
And thank you for the encouragement! I'm still working on my first game for now, so it'll be a while before I truly try to tackle this space shooter game I have in mind. I will SURELY make sure everyone is updated when I get back to this project I'm asking about.

@Zero6 - GAAAH!!! That's...that's...That's almost EXACTLY what I have in mind. There is a minor difference: for MY game, I picture the top down view being like Galaga, where the player is at the bottom of the screen and the enemies engage from the top. So while what you shared here is...pretty much...what I'm working towards, there is a subtle difference.
.....and there's still one thing I have up my sleeve that even Revolver360 doesn't have: and that's my secret weapon.

@Valerien - Right. The 3D space will be a mock-up, of course, if I do it in C2. I'll have instance variables and/or arrays to keep track of mutual values between the two planes of perspective.

@R0J0hound - HOLY CRAP!!! That was awesome!!!
It has been nearly 15 years since I was in calculus/trigonometry, but surely this will help me refresh my mind. Thank you so much!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:09 pm

I think I would go with Unity for this - it handles 3D natively. Good luck whatever you choose!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:41 pm

@ChrisAlgoo - Thank you, sir. :) It's still a toss-up between whether I want to have this game take place in literal 3D space or not. The actual gameplay will be the flat 2D...soooo, still undecided.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Interesting game idea. I would also be inclined to use Unity 3d for this with the Playmaker plugin to handle the game logic. Depending on your plan you could use one or more orthographic cameras to render the 3d world without perspective (sort of 2d to the player).
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General